Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Charl Gerber <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/06 15:11:09 UTC

Tomcat Timers/threads?

Does Tomcat 4.1 provide a way to schedule tasks?
Something similar to java.util.Timer?

BEA WebLogic eg offers a
weblogic.management.timer.Timer which has the same
affect, but is controlled by the application server.

I've been using a java.util.Timer up to now in Tomcat
4.1. I initialize it in the a ServletContextListener
and gracefully kill it there again when the
application stops, but strickly speaking this is
probably not correct. I've had no problems up to now,
though.

Does Tomcat offer a correct(er) solution, or can I
continue with the java.util.Timer?

Thanks!

Re: Tomcat Timers/threads?

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
> Does Tomcat 4.1 provide a way to schedule tasks?
> Something similar to java.util.Timer?

AFAIK not in Tomcat, but Quartz might be of interest to you:

http://www.opensymphony.com/quartz/

HTH

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK