Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2009/03/09 18:00:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] Promoting commons-compress to proper

Hi all,

before I start a vote, let's see whether everything is in place.

http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CommonsEtiquette says:

* compliance with policies:

  Just now I've run RAT and it flags src/site/xdoc/style/project.css
  as well as a few test files.  I could fix the CSS (other proper
  project's don't have a license in the one-liner file either, BTW)
  but the test files should be fine without the license IMHO.

* A PROPOSAL

  Is this required in this case, given the component is many years old
  and probably had a PROPOSAL initially?

* health

  We currently have three developers listed (Sebb, you may want to add
  yourself) and two pretty active contributors as well as a request
  for promotion/release by Jukka.  Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Stefan

Re: [DISCUSS] Promoting commons-compress to proper

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> Yep. We'll probably start using the component in Tika as soon as a
> release is available, and through Tika the code will soon find it's
> way to wider use in projects like Solr and Jackrabbit. I wouldn't be
> surprised if these uses resulted in at least a few contributions
> trickling back to here.
>
> And perhaps Ant (and selected Maven plugins, etc.) would be interested
> in using the component too.

Additionally Commons VFS is waiting for this release too

Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] Promoting commons-compress to proper

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>  We currently have three developers listed (Sebb, you may want to add
>  yourself) and two pretty active contributors as well as a request
>  for promotion/release by Jukka.  Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Yep. We'll probably start using the component in Tika as soon as a
release is available, and through Tika the code will soon find it's
way to wider use in projects like Solr and Jackrabbit. I wouldn't be
surprised if these uses resulted in at least a few contributions
trickling back to here.

And perhaps Ant (and selected Maven plugins, etc.) would be interested
in using the component too.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [DISCUSS] Promoting commons-compress to proper

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me :)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-03-09, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/03/2009, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,

>>  before I start a vote, let's see whether everything is in place.

>>  http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CommonsEtiquette says:

>>  * compliance with policies:

>>   Just now I've run RAT and it flags src/site/xdoc/style/project.css
>>   as well as a few test files.  I could fix the CSS (other proper
>>   project's don't have a license in the one-liner file either, BTW)
>>   but the test files should be fine without the license IMHO.

> Usually OK if these are test *data* files, but any test Java files
> should have AL headers.

Yes, I was only talking about data files (the archives and text files
that are being added to archives).

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
>>  Sebb, you mean adding headers to the files in the archives? :)
>
> No, I was referring to SVN.

Me too

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/compress/trunk/src/test/resources

Re: [DISCUSS] Promoting commons-compress to proper

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.