Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2019/04/30 17:37:51 UTC

Ant build of NetBeans RCP with --release

Hi All,

I'm currently working on updating PraxisLIVE to use NB11 as a base.  I
was looking at making it possible (not for releases for now) to
compile on JDK11 using the --release flag.  At the moment I've just
added that in as an attribute for the javac task in the harness
common.xml  Might be a useful PR for those of us stuck using Ant?  But

So, the problem is that this works fine from the command line, but
fails from the IDE with the message "error: release version 8 not
supported".  Same Ant, and as far as I can tell same compiler
arguments.  Any idea if there's something obvious I'm missing here?

Thanks and best wishes,

Neil

Re: Ant build of NetBeans RCP with --release

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 at 18:37, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> So, the problem is that this works fine from the command line, but
> fails from the IDE with the message "error: release version 8 not
> supported".

JFTR it looks like any use of the javac Ant task with the release
attribute fails inside the IDE unless the task is set to fork a
separate VM.  Replicated with a minimal Ant project.  Any idea whether
this is expected or a bug?

Best wishes,

Neil