Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Camillo Granchelli <ca...@postecom.it> on 2004/09/28 11:32:40 UTC

OutOfMemory on Tomcat webapp with awt use

Hi,
I have a problem with this server configuration:
- Server sun/solaris 5.8 Generic_108528-17 sun4u sparc
SUNW,UltraAX-i2
- Apache 2.0.38 with mod_jk2
- Tomcat 4.1.30
- j2sdk1.4.2_05 Sun

in pre-production environment.
My webapp crashes also with few concurrent users when it
uses awt for images generation on server side; the images are
visualized to internet users by their requests.
The server error (in catalina.out) is:
------------
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Sep 27, 2004 4:33:11 PM
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable
run
SEVERE: Caught exception (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError)
executing org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection@d1e07c,
terminatin
g thread
----------
Could be a bug or known problem on use of awt classes on
Unix Systems?
Without image generation my webapp works fine.
On MS NT system the same problem seems doesn't arise: it's possible?

My command line for running java is:
java -Xms256m -Xmx256m -Djava.awt.headless=true ......

Thanks in advance four your help.

Best regards

cg

Re: OutOfMemory on Tomcat webapp with awt use

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:32:40AM +0200, Camillo Granchelli wrote:
: My webapp crashes also with few concurrent users when it
: uses awt for images generation on server side; the images are
: visualized to internet users by their requests.
: The server error (in catalina.out) is:
: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Perhaps you'll need more memory (larger heap, aka "-Xmx").  Image
rendering can be memory-intensive, depending on what API is used on the
backend and the type of image you're creating.

Run a load-test to guage your memory settings.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com