Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by david reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com> on 1999/02/12 21:25:22 UTC

Thread abstraction

Hi,

Looking at apache-apr - are there any plans to abstract out the thread
stuff?  It;d make the files much more legible and would allow ports to
be done easier.  I'm looking at porting to BeOS and it'll be a
nightmare unless there is more abstraction of the thread activities.

david reid
abb37@dial.pipex.com

Re: Thread abstraction

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com>.

The simple answer is yes.  We have in the works, a plan to implement APR
(name may change).  This would be a Portable Runtime.  One of the things
documented for inclusion, is the thread routines.  The Apache port is a
mess right now, because we are trying to get something working.  People
are working on APR when they have the opportunity, but as you can tell
from the cvs logs, there has been no committing for this library yet.
There is a document outlining the original (read not very good) specs.  I
believe it is in the apache-apr/docs directory.  IF you would like to help
flesh out those docs, or begin to implement APR, we would love the help.

I keep meaning to write the APRFile stuff, but I haven't had the spare
time during the weekends yet.

Ryan Bloom

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd