Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Lechique <le...@poczta.onet.pl> on 2004/04/21 21:50:19 UTC

Open Office - indirect linking and styles

Hi!

I'm a newbie to Forrest and have two questions connected to Open
Office support:

1) Does OOF provide an indirect linking to resources? When I write
   "site:todo" in URL field (Character dialog / Hyperling tab), OOF
   transforms it to '/usr/my_projest/site/todo" and Forrest can't
   map it. Is there any way to save sxw file with raw "site:todo"?

2) I'm using styles from openoffice-writer.sxw. After generating site
   in Forrest (static version) I get english inscriptions in styles
   FixMe, Note and Warning. What should I do to translate them to my
   native language?

Thanks!

Best regards.
Lechique

Re[2]: Open Office - indirect linking and styles

Posted by Lechique <le...@poczta.onet.pl>.
W liście z 22 kwietnia 2004 Reinhard Poetz napisał(-a):

> Lechique wrote:

>>I thought that there is some externalize-string (i18n) way to solve
>>problem with foreign laungages. After using "Forrest Warning" style in
>>my polish documents (in Open Office) and Krysalis skin, I will have
>>'Warning' inscription in generated sites. I want to change this
>>'Warning' to polish equivalent - that's all. So... is there really no
>>way to do it? Maybe I should write my own skin? Sorry for lame
>>questions - it's my second night with Forrest.

> This shouldn't be difficult. You only have to add another transformation
> step which uses the i18n transformer. But this needs an enhancement of
> Forrest in general. Probably I have some time next week to look deeper
> in this issue.

> If you could provide a patch I'll happily committ it <hint/> ;-)

I'll try, but until now all this 'transformation' and cocoon stuff is
kind of black magic to me :)

Best regards.
Lechique

Re: Open Office - indirect linking and styles

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Lechique wrote:

>Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>>Is there any way to save sxw file with raw "site:todo"?
>>>

>>No idea, on this I'm afraid, if no-one knows here you'll need to ask on
>>the Open Office lists.
>>

>You were right - Open Office forum was the first place to ask this
>question. So.. if anyone else wants to use Forrest's indirect linking
>in sxw file then:
>1) uncheck File System / Internet in "Load / Save" Options (General)
>2) use Hyperlink from Insert Menu and choose "Document". In field
>   'path' there is a place for e.g. "site:todo".
>
>After that, Forrest will transform links in sxw files according to
>information from site.xml.

Thanks for finding this out!

--
Reinhard

Re: Open Office - indirect linking and styles

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Lechique wrote:

>Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>>Is there any way to save sxw file with raw "site:todo"?
>>>

>>No idea, on this I'm afraid, if no-one knows here you'll need to ask on
>>the Open Office lists.
>>

>You were right - Open Office forum was the first place to ask this
>question. So.. if anyone else wants to use Forrest's indirect linking
>in sxw file then:
>1) uncheck File System / Internet in "Load / Save" Options (General)
>2) use Hyperlink from Insert Menu and choose "Document". In field
>   'path' there is a place for e.g. "site:todo".
>
>After that, Forrest will transform links in sxw files according to
>information from site.xml.

Thanks for asking OO forum - this also bugged me some time ago.

>>>2) I'm using styles from openoffice-writer.sxw. After generating site
>>>   in Forrest (static version) I get english inscriptions in styles
>>>   FixMe, Note and Warning. What should I do to translate them to my
>>>   native language?
>>>

>>At present the Open Office integration requries you to use a fixed set
>>of named styles (see the Open Office demo). I do have a partially
>>working version that allows you to use other styles but it is not yet in
>>SVN. Before I put it there we need to discuss whether it is a good thing
>>or not since, as Nicola Ken pointed out, we would no longer be
>>separating style information from source information.
>>

>Fixed set of styles in openoffice-writer.sxw from Forrest 0.6 is
>enough to me. I don't want to use my own, home-made styles.

Me either. Anyway I'm curios what Ross' proposal will look like.

>>You have two choices, only use the style templates in the demo document
>>provided or if you can then wait for a couple of weeks and I'll be
>>opening this discussion and offering my solutions (can't do right now as
>>it is all tied up in my custom skin and needs separating out, something
>>I do not have the time for right now)
>>

>I thought that there is some externalize-string (i18n) way to solve
>problem with foreign laungages. After using "Forrest Warning" style in
>my polish documents (in Open Office) and Krysalis skin, I will have
>'Warning' inscription in generated sites. I want to change this
>'Warning' to polish equivalent - that's all. So... is there really no
>way to do it? Maybe I should write my own skin? Sorry for lame
>questions - it's my second night with Forrest.

The stylesheet could procude <i18n>-tags that could be transleted in a
following transformation step. But IIUC this is could be a general
solution. Maybe Forrest already supports this. WDOT?

--
Reinhard

Re[2]: Open Office - indirect linking and styles

Posted by Lechique <le...@poczta.onet.pl>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

>> Is there any way to save sxw file with raw "site:todo"?

> No idea, on this I'm afraid, if no-one knows here you'll need to ask on
> the Open Office lists.

You were right - Open Office forum was the first place to ask this
question. So.. if anyone else wants to use Forrest's indirect linking
in sxw file then:
1) uncheck File System / Internet in "Load / Save" Options (General)
2) use Hyperlink from Insert Menu and choose "Document". In field
   'path' there is a place for e.g. "site:todo".

After that, Forrest will transform links in sxw files according to
information from site.xml.

>> 2) I'm using styles from openoffice-writer.sxw. After generating site
>>    in Forrest (static version) I get english inscriptions in styles
>>    FixMe, Note and Warning. What should I do to translate them to my
>>    native language?

> At present the Open Office integration requries you to use a fixed set
> of named styles (see the Open Office demo). I do have a partially
> working version that allows you to use other styles but it is not yet in
> SVN. Before I put it there we need to discuss whether it is a good thing
> or not since, as Nicola Ken pointed out, we would no longer be
> separating style information from source information.

Fixed set of styles in openoffice-writer.sxw from Forrest 0.6 is
enough to me. I don't want to use my own, home-made styles.

> You have two choices, only use the style templates in the demo document
> provided or if you can then wait for a couple of weeks and I'll be
> opening this discussion and offering my solutions (can't do right now as
> it is all tied up in my custom skin and needs separating out, something
> I do not have the time for right now)

I thought that there is some externalize-string (i18n) way to solve
problem with foreign laungages. After using "Forrest Warning" style in
my polish documents (in Open Office) and Krysalis skin, I will have
'Warning' inscription in generated sites. I want to change this
'Warning' to polish equivalent - that's all. So... is there really no
way to do it? Maybe I should write my own skin? Sorry for lame
questions - it's my second night with Forrest.

Thansks for help!

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Lechique wrote:
> I'm a newbie to Forrest and have two questions connected to Open
> Office support:
>
> 1) Does OOF provide an indirect linking to resources? When I write
>    "site:todo" in URL field (Character dialog / Hyperling tab), OOF
>    transforms it to '/usr/my_projest/site/todo" and Forrest can't
>    map it.

Not right now, if you submit this as a feature request on jira we may
get around to implementing it if there is enough interest (I am working
on Open Office integration at present but I don't have this on my use
case list as I don't use site.xml directly)

> Is there any way to save sxw file with raw "site:todo"?

No idea, on this I'm afraid, if no-one knows here you'll need to ask on
the Open Office lists.

> 2) I'm using styles from openoffice-writer.sxw. After generating site
>    in Forrest (static version) I get english inscriptions in styles
>    FixMe, Note and Warning. What should I do to translate them to my
>    native language?

At present the Open Office integration requries you to use a fixed set
of named styles (see the Open Office demo). I do have a partially
working version that allows you to use other styles but it is not yet in
SVN. Before I put it there we need to discuss whether it is a good thing
or not since, as Nicola Ken pointed out, we would no longer be
separating style information from source information.

You have two choices, only use the style templates in the demo document
provided or if you can then wait for a couple of weeks and I'll be
opening this discussion and offering my solutions (can't do right now as
it is all tied up in my custom skin and needs separating out, something
I do not have the time for right now)

Ross