Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/11 12:44:19 UTC

Re: Open Discussion - How to increasing JSPWiki publicity ...

Hi,

I've added a link to
https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=JSPWikiSites on the wiki home
page, as it also was linked from there on the original (=Janne's) wiki. The
page structure is taken from
http://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki/wiki/JSPWikiSitesI've only added a few
sites from Janne's wiki b/c there were many links
down, so anyone running a JSPWiki instance out there please add a link at
https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=JSPWikiSites !

br,
juan pablo

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.
On 11/02/16 01:26, Derek Hohls wrote:
> I am very curious as to why people would even want to install a wiki
> on their own machines (Windows or otherwise).
>
> To me, the main benefit of a wiki is that it is a shared repository of
> knowledge to which everyone has access. Such a wiki would be installed
> and maintained by the IT support team (or local guru, perhaps) on a
> server.  Access is then as simple as "open your browser"! No barrier
> to entry at all.

Agreed. However, I have in the past run a local instance of JSPWiki
precisely for private project documentation and note taking, and it
worked fantastically well. I've occasionally thought that for folks who
did want to run a full wiki locally on their machine but with zero
technical know-how, it surely wouldn't be too much of a stretch to take
something like Siegfried Goeschl's Wiki on a Stick
(https://github.com/sgoeschl/jspwiki-on-a-stick), and bundle it into a
self-contained Windows/DEB/whatever installer which when executed
installs a sandboxed instance in Jetty or something.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz

Re: Open Discussion - How to increasing JSPWiki publicity ...

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

regarding Personal Distributed Wiki - I’m syncing my JSPWiki contents over DropBox

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: RE: Open Discussion - How to increasing JSPWiki publicity ...

Posted by Derek Hohls <dh...@csir.co.za>.
Adrien

Posted by Jason Morris <ja...@sydney.edu.au>.

Adrien Beau wrote:
>You get a note-taking tool with text formatting, file attachments, hyperlinks between notes, a full-text search engine, and no dependency on network connectivity.
>You also get to keep past revisions, and can easily backup the data (or even read it if the software fails): it's just plain-text files.

Amen!! Well said. These reasons are EXACTLY why I prefer using it.

Adrien Beau wrote:
>The full-text search engine was not much of a criteria when I selected JSPWiki, but it turned out to be much more useful than I envisioned, especially on a local instance (no latency, very fast results).

Absolutely. This is worth the effort of setting up JSPWiki alone IMHO.

Re: RE: Open Discussion - How to increasing JSPWiki publicity ...

Posted by Adrien Beau <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Uszak <pa...@gmail.com>.
Derek, I think that you might be missing an important point.  Software
adoption isn't restricted just to end users.  And IT departments aren't all
like the one at HSBC.  There are SME departments (or single guys) that
might be interested in the features of JSPWiki.  Your comments regarding
configuration are valid though, it's  a lot harder than need be.  And don't
forget, it we all have our own installation, it's not really a
collaborative wiki is it?

This is where I was coming from when I asked what was this wiki for?  The
SME market could be one of those  targeted with future (re)development.
Unless I've misunderstood the intention of this project and nobody want's
it to go past being a toy.

Posted by Derek Hohls <dh...@csir.co.za>.

Posted by Jason Morris <ja...@sydney.edu.au>.
I think Dave Koelmeyer said:

The original question raised (not by me) on this same thread was "Open Discussion - How to [increase] JSPWiki publicity ..." (implying – correctly – there is a lack of publicity), and was asked way back April 2014. There were I think three responses, but no real discussion took place. It's not a new issue, more an actual discussion which didn't happen at the time. If there is less visibility for JSPWiki, there are less folks discovering and actively using it – leading to problems which you've experienced with folks using it on alternate app servers, for instance. If you look at other healthy open source projects, specifically alternative wiki products such as MediaWiki, they have a level of publicity absent in JSPWiki. The target audience isn't folks like you and me who have been using it for years, it's those prospective users who simply don't know about it. Note what's missing from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software for example.
<<

LOL Now I recall why I rejected MediaWiki: PHP    :-p
Been there, done that. No thanks, I'll gladly take my chances with JSP.

Of course, if you're used to WordPress or Drupal, and you're looking for a wiki, then MediaWiki might be the solution.
One might ask "What's the benefit of a wiki over blogware anyway?"

In terms of "pushing as a corporate solution", I'm not pushing for anything as such, other than greater visibility. Corporate deployment is just one highly-applicable use case in which JSPWiki can (with the right requirements) compete. I run an open source consultancy, and I would just *love* to be able to offer JSPWiki as a commercial hosted service for small-medium-sized businesses, and be able to contribute back to the project with tangible resources. Absent that – due to some lingering problems with HADDOCK and the drawbacks with the legacy interface – contributing some free time to raising publicity is the next best thing I can offer. I really like JSPWiki's strengths (ease of setup, mostly ease of use, streamlined and no bloat, no separate database to manage, open source, and so on), but if a slide into obscurity is on the horizon, I'll switch to another product.
<<

I'll give you a use-case -- true story.

I tried (without success) to get people using JSPWiki internally in our faculty (Agriculture and Environment at the University of Sydney). At first, the majority were all gung-ho about using a wiki.. that was no problem. The barrier to entry was that they expected it to install like installing MS Word or something. Just a "one-shot and it just works" experience. As soon as I explained that they had to first install a servlet container (what's a servlet??!?!!) and fill out all this configuration stuff, they quickly lost interest. For non-techies, it was just too much overhead. The other thing is that virtually all the users were in the Windows environment, and most were very unfamiliar with the UNIX/LINUX environment.

So, if we want to increase adoption, one plan of attack might be to:

* Target the Windows platform first.
* Make the installation, with all its dependencies (including Tomcat running as a Windows service), as transparent as possible to new users via customizable installation scripts/batch files.
* We can provide different kinds of pre-configured installation templates/options like:
  - install as public wiki (this would close all the permissions and security that are wide open on the basic install and only allow admins to edit/delete).
  - install as private, single-user wiki (this would be like my developer's journal installation)
  - install with the following defined groups and roles (for people who already have a user structure in mind).
  - custom installation (the traditional installation where the user sets all the properties)
* Provide some kind of control panel like the Tomcat App Manager so non-techies don't have to fiddle with editing text files. I know that this is an anathema to developers, but non-programmers really hate doing "anything" that resembles programming.

Just a few ideas.
Cheers,
Jason

Jason C. Morris | PhD Candidate (ABD)
Department of Environmental Sciences | Faculty of Agriculture and Environment
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY, NSW, 2006
phone: +61 02 8627 1152

Re: Open Discussion - How to increasing JSPWiki publicity ...

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.

Posted by Paul Uszak <pa...@gmail.com>.
>>So, full circle: why is this an issue now at all?

I guess because I asked “who is JSPWiki for ?” I believe this is the most
important challenge facing JSPWiki. Not having a clear understanding of
this question poses the greatest risk to it. I see this as a strategic
marketing issue, not one simply of publicity.

It would be interesting to know what the person managing the development of
JSPWiki thinks is the answer to this. Where is it heading? Is there a
vision? “2.10.2” is not the answer I'm looking for. It is difficult to
steer development towards an uncertain goal. There is tough competition all
around, so is there some unique selling point that we can exploit? I think
that there is. Several actually. There are niche market segments that
JSPWiki could move into very successfully. Although without a clear focus,
I fear that this project might stall somewhat. I certainly don't expect it
to compete effectively in the mainstream market for reasons already
highlighted.

If consensus is that this is a hobby, then fine. Have at it. But I'm
reminded of Thackeray's *“Whatever you are, try to be a good one.”* If
there is a desire to see this product become a larger player, there are
clear strategic marketing techniques that can be applied.

Should we be having this discussion on the dev list instead, as that is
where the decision makers are? Is there an appetite for debating JSPWiki's
future?

Posted by Jim Willeke <ji...@willeke.com>.
How many "Global" Corporations are using JSPWiki compared to the
competition?

And I guess my comments were not given enough context.
Internally, where a company may have hundreds of departments, perhaps each
with their own WIKI, JSPWiki does not have any method I know of to handle
these conditions other than setting discrete instances for each department.

Many of these organizations would have 1,000s if not 10,000s roles/groups
that are defined, JSPWiki does not have an appropriate administrative
interface to deal this this condition.

--
-jim
Jim Willeke

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.
Hi Juan Pablo,

On 07/02/16 09:11, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez wrote:
> Re. facebook/twitter page, I don't think there's a need for approval, our
> time is scarce (furthermore, I don't even have a facebook account) so Dave,
> if you're willing to take a lead, just announce here and we will link from
> jspwiki-wiki.a.o. I'd only ask you to please redirect as much traffic as
> possible to the MLs, as there is where we usually lurk.

If you don't think we need sign-off from Apache or anything, and we can
do this without later getting into hot water because we didn't, then
I'll go ahead and create a page for starters. I'll see if I can double
check with someone from Apache just to be on the safe side and if any
problems I'll update here. Janne did give me admin access to the
existing group (as opposed to a page) on Facebook ages ago, but groups
are a legacy way of promotion and won't work well. What you're seeing at
the moment on the FB page for Thunderbird is the general tone and
content I'd be aiming for (https://www.facebook.com/Thunderbird/).

> Finally, re. haddock, would it help if we switch jspwiki-wiki.a.o to run
> using haddock?

Personally I'd like to see this.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

my 2c on various bits/thinking out loud ("we" meaning "me" most of the
time):

Best way to increase publicity is to release often. After every release
there've been an increase on use/MLs. Problem is, we do this on a free time
basis, so a mantaning an steady effort is complicated. So, the question is,
how do we do to foster collaboration, patches, etc?

As for the wikipedia, maybe a wave of blog posts (which could also be sent
to the server side, voxxed, etc.) is enough to convince them to own our
page? But we do need people actually doing this, the time we spend on
JSPWiki is almost spent on coding..

Re. facebook/twitter page, I don't think there's a need for approval, our
time is scarce (furthermore, I don't even have a facebook account) so Dave,
if you're willing to take a lead, just announce here and we will link from
jspwiki-wiki.a.o. I'd only ask you to please redirect as much traffic as
possible to the MLs, as there is where we usually lurk.

Re. markdown support, latest trunk allows switching the jspwiki markup
parser with something else (has to inherit o.a.j.render.MarkupParser). I'll
try to do some tests wednesday/thursday next week but anyone willing to
step in will be very welcome.

Re. not enough extensions, maybe we don't have a plethora of extensions,
but I find very easy to extend JSPWiki, that's one of its strengths and how
I became interested in the project in the first place (like ages now).

Re. JSPWiki target, I don't expect a high technical user, even for the
one(s) administering it. I only expect them to be able to reach from the
downloads page to the getting started one.. Another question is if a non
technical user prefers a wiki or ms word for his documents. And with 2.10.2
there will be portable binaries, so maybe there will be a reason less to
not use JSPWiki.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.com>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Jim Willeke <ji...@willeke.com>.

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.
> [...]

>> be approved by Apache.
>>
>> I currently handle social networks publicity for Mozilla Thunderbird, so
>> I've got a fair bit of experience on this one.
>>
>> How can we get this progressed, and does anyone have any other points of
>> view?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave
>>
>> --
>> Dave Koelmeyer
>> http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz
>> GPG Key ID: 0x238BFF87
>>

>> On 13/04/14 15:31, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
>>> On 4/10/2014 8:54 PM, Siegfried Goeschl wrote: Hi folks,
>>> Really ramping up activity on social networks would be a good idea,
>>> Facebook and Twitter specifically. There is a Facebook page with a
>>> whopping four members, and activity on there is all but dead. Happy to
>>> make a time commitment here to start posting fresh content.

>>> Dave

Re: Open Discussion - How to increasing JSPWiki publicity ...

Posted by Paul Uszak <pa...@gmail.com>.
I think that one of the initial points people should address, prior to
launching a publicity campaign, is: who is JSPWiki for?  It's pretty
important to identify the market segment that efforts will then be made
towards.  We could all just talk about it a lot, but it's more efficient if
someone actually has an idea as to what is to be achieved, for whom.

>From a personal perspective as a user, it appears that JSPWiki is only
suitable for a highly technical computer user.  I use it because it meets
certain nerdy requirements.  Most casual users don't know what a server is.

 Dave, you can get an impression of what I'm talking about by comparing the
ease of installation of Thunderbird to that of JSPWiki.  Therefore, if you
think that we should be targeting developers /programmers, I would suggest
that perhaps those who want JSPWiki, know or can readily find out about
JSPWiki.  There might be an inherent danger of diminishing returns by
publicising a highly technical product into the mainstream segment.
Marketing 101 tells us not to advertise AR15s during the Super Bowl half
time slot.

>From a more positive slant, some modernisation would be a good thing.
Mailing list, what the hell is a mailing list?  They went out with the
horse and cart.  Small steps Ellie, small steps ...

Posted by "David (spindift)" <de...@spindrift.com>.
I'm wondering where you folks believe you are are putting out 2.10.2. If
you're trying to get noticed and increase adoption, fresh releases
always give people confidence that a project is alive and well.

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.
Hi All,

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Can we just shut down (delete) the facebook page instead, and put those
efforts into improving our home page and wiki instead?   I didn't even
know we were on Facebook.   We're spreading ourselves too thin by
maintaining too many sites (we have Ohloh and Wikipedia as well), which
results in them all being poorly done and ends up making it painfully
evident to the world that we're a tiny team.  It is better to have
*nothing* than have *something* that is really bad, that highlights that
we're really small.  I can't sing, for example, so instead of having
MP3s on my blog of me singing poorly I don't have any MP3's at all, a
much better improvement.  Same with JSPWiki leaving Facebook, why look
bad with having 4 followers when you can delete the Facebook page
instead?  A nonexistent Facebook page doesn't say anything about our
size.  A Facebook page with just 4 follows is bad advertising for us, we
look lousy compared to other Wiki tools that have hundreds of follows.

Yes, if IBM ran a commercial Wiki tool and paid several dozen to work on
it, they might be able to afford to maintain 10 different websites
beautifully.  But for a small project like JSPWiki, it would be lunacy
for us to attempt the same, better to have just one or two sites that
are well-nourished than 10 that look crappy.

Glen

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
On 07/20/2014 02:57 AM, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:

> On 13/05/14 21:01, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
>>
>> On 13/04/14 19:17, Janne Jalkanen wrote:
>>> Gave you admin access on the FB group :-)
>>>
>>> /Janne
>>>
>>> On 13 Apr 2014, at 06:31 , Dave Koelmeyer
>>> <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz> wrote:
>>>

>> Hi Janne/All,
>>
>> A belated thanks for this. I believe since that group was created
>> Facebook has focused far more on Pages as a business or
>> organisation-specific promotion/marketing tool (cf.
>> https://www.facebook.com/notes/324706977130).
>>
>> Would we please be able to create a fresh Facebook Page for JSPWiki?
>> And do we need sign-off from Apache for this?
>

> Just a bump on this one :)
>
> Dave

Dave, don't get cute, there were four responses after this point on the
thread, all negative about continuing with Facebook.  I've already
opined---seconded by Harry--that the only thing we need to do with
Facebook is to get its JSPWiki site shut down.  It's a cybersquatting
site--i.e. something out of the control of the JSPWiki team--that Janne
should no longer be running.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jspwiki-dev/201405.mbox/%3CCABp47EteS9jYzy-_NSxPfUD%2BhPu5MuHOONyq-FfrqoBzrWwK%2BA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Glen

Re: Open Discussion - How to increasing JSPWiki publicity ...

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
Since I am not an administrator in this JSPWiki FB group, can someone
delete this group (or make me administrator, so I can delete it) ?

kind regards,
Harry

Posted by Jürgen Weber <ju...@jwi.de>.
+1

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
I fully agree with Glen here.
If someone can give me admin rights, I could try to remove the FB page.

regards,
Harry

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.
Hi All,

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave, you're a big booster of JSPWiki on the 'Net, we appreciate your
enthusiasm and willingness to help out.  (Code patches welcome too...   :-)

Regards,
Glen

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luca,

please, feel free to edit the wiki page as necessary, edits are open to
everyone O:-)

br,
juan pablo

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM, lgilardoni61@gmail.com <