Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2002/02/23 02:38:56 UTC

Hypersonic problems - Unknown JDBC driver

Is this the right place to ask Torque questions?  I'm a newbie to Torque,
but very jazzed about getting it rolling.  I'm impressed with the amount of
documentation and infrastructure that is in place for it.  Unfortunately I'm
having a problem that I haven't seen mentioned in the archives or
documentation - so I must be doing something really dumb....

I'm using the latest fresh build from CVS, but I've tried other builds with
the same problem so I'm not suspecting a Torque code problem. I've also
succesfully connected to MSSQL (with the beta drivers), but my goal is to
use hsqldb for something lightweight.

My code is very simply:

        try {
            Torque.init("c:/temp/torque/Torque.properties");
        }
        catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }

        Vector users = null;
        User user = null;
        String username = "erik";
        String password = "";
        Criteria criteria = new Criteria();
        criteria.add(UserPeer.USERNAME, username.toLowerCase());
        criteria.add(UserPeer.PASSWORD, password);

        try {
            users = UserPeer.doSelect(criteria);
        }
        catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }

And I'm getting this exception (running <java> from within Ant):
     [java] java.lang.InstantiationException: Unknown JDBC driver:
org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver: Check your configuration file
     [java]     at
org.apache.torque.adapter.DBFactory.create(DBFactory.java:223
)
     [java]     at org.apache.torque.Torque.initDatabaseMap(Torque.java:542)
     [java]     at org.apache.torque.Torque.getDatabaseMap(Torque.java:518)
     [java]     at
org.apache.torque.util.Criteria.containsObjectColumn(Criteria
.java:410)
     [java]     at
org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.doSelect(BasePeer.java:1207)
     [java]     at
org.example.testdb.om.torque.BaseUserPeer.doSelectVillageRec
ords(BaseUserPeer.java:275)
     [java]     at
org.example.testdb.om.torque.BaseUserPeer.doSelectVillageRec
ords(BaseUserPeer.java:245)
     [java]     at
org.example.testdb.om.torque.BaseUserPeer.doSelect(BaseUserP
eer.java:223)
     [java]     at Test.main(Test.java:30)
     [java] rethrown as org.apache.torque.TorqueException: Unknown JDBC
     [java]     at org.apache.torque.Torque.initDatabaseMap(Torque.java:552)
     [java]     at org.apache.torque.Torque.getDatabaseMap(Torque.java:518)
     [java]     at
org.apache.torque.util.Criteria.containsObjectColumn(Criteria
.java:410)
     [java]     at
org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.doSelect(BasePeer.java:1207)
     [java]     at
org.example.testdb.om.torque.BaseUserPeer.doSelectVillageRec
ords(BaseUserPeer.java:275)
     [java]     at
org.example.testdb.om.torque.BaseUserPeer.doSelectVillageRec
ords(BaseUserPeer.java:245)
     [java]     at
org.example.testdb.om.torque.BaseUserPeer.doSelect(BaseUserP
eer.java:223)
     [java]     at Test.main(Test.java:30)

I've most definitely got hsqldb.jar (v. 1.61) in my classpath.  I've tried
this many many ways (embedded in a webapp at first, now narrowed to a simple
main barebones example).

Why is it not finding it?   Its driving me nuts and its bound to be
something very simple I'm missing.

My Torque.properties file has this:
torque.database.default.driver = org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver
torque.database.default.url = jdbc:hsqldb:c:/temp/torque/db/testdb
torque.database.default.username = sa
torque.database.default.password =

Help!  I look forward to the answer being a RTFM or something like that, so
be gentle on me but point me in the right direction.  :)

Thanks,
    Erik

Re: Hypersonic problems - Unknown JDBC driver

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 22:06, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Does this have anything to do with it does it?
>
> >From DBFactory.initializeDriverToAdapterMap
>
>   driverToAdapterMap.put("org.hsql.jdbcDriver", "DBHypersonicSQL");
>
> hsqldb's jdbcDriver is org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver (not org.hsql...) in 1.61.

Sure does!

I just added an entry to the DBFactory class for you. Give it a whirl.
I added:

driverToAdapterMap.put("org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver", "DBHsqldb");

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Hypersonic problems - Unknown JDBC driver

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
> Where are you running this from? Are you sure the hsqldb jar is in your
> classpath?

I built the Torque .zip file (just tonight from CVS), unzipped it to
c:\temp\torque and have been playing there.

I added this to the build.xml there:

  <target name="test" depends="compile">
       <property name="classpath" refid="torque-classpath"/>
       <echo message="classpath = ${classpath}"/>
       <java classname="Test" fork="true">
         <classpath>
           <pathelement location="bin/classes"/>
           <path refid="torque-classpath"/>
         </classpath>
       </java>
  </target>

Added Test.java to src/java, which is the code I posted earlier.  And then I

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 21:38, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> [...]

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Hypersonic problems - Unknown JDBC driver

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 21:23, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> [...]

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Hypersonic problems - Unknown JDBC driver

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Thanks for the clue about log4j.properties.  I removed it from the stratum
JAR and now get this output:

     [java] 2002-02-22 22:10:03,356 [main] INFO  org.apache.torque.Torque -
Logg
ing has been configured by Torque.
     [java] 2002-02-22 22:10:03,376 [main] DEBUG
org.apache.torque.adapter.DBFac
tory - Using org.apache.torque.adapter.null
     [java] 2002-02-22 22:10:03,386 [main] ERROR
org.apache.torque.adapter.DBFac
tory - java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.torque.adapter.null
     [java] 2002-02-22 22:10:03,496 [main] WARN
org.apache.torque.oid.IDBroker

So, looks like I'm getting warmer..... I'm posting this to see if I get an
answer before my digging finds it.

    Erik

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.