Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2009/09/23 18:39:19 UTC

Logo Design Contest

A logo design contest is now underway at 99designs.com.

http://99designs.com/contests/28940

The contest brief can be found here:
http://99designs.com/contests/28940/brief. If you're worried that it's
missing something critical (or includes something it shouldn't), leave a
comment on the contest page and/or let me know right away.

I encourage everyone to bookmark the page, to check it frequently, and
be sure to leave plenty of feedback as designs are submitted!

Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: Logo Design Contest

Posted by Sal Fuentes <fu...@gmail.com>.
When I was originally envisioning a logo for Cassandra I was thinking of
somehow subtly blending the idea of a Big table on top of a ring of
connected nodes. I think
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12420126/unstacked-pair.png was
an example of this. Of course I don't know if that was intentional but it
was there (I guess that's art for you). Now it may be that this Cassandra
community would like to differentiate itself as a completely independent
system by not having these associations in its logo, but at least I wanted
to put it out there and see what you ladies and gentlemen think. So my
question is: Are these ideas worth a mention in the contest brief?

--
Salvador Fuentes Jr.
323-540-4SAL

Re: Your Feedback Needed (was: Logo Design Contest)

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
You just need to sign up for an account and then you can comment on
the main contest page.  (Only the proposal submitter can comment on
the individual entry pages.)

-Jonathan

Posted by Jayaraman Sampathkumar <ja...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 15:29 -0700, Sal Fuentes wrote:
> Would it not be fair to somehow include the existing logo designs
> in http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-231 ?

Yes, it would, and I left a comment to that effect[1] earlier today.

[1]
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-231?focusedCommentId=12759241&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_12759241

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: Your Feedback Needed (was: Logo Design Contest)

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.

Re: Logo Design Contest

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 11:39 -0500, Eric Evans wrote:
> A logo design contest is now underway at 99designs.com.
>
> http://99designs.com/contests/28940
>
> The contest brief can be found here:
> http://99designs.com/contests/28940/brief. If you're worried that it's
> missing something critical (or includes something it shouldn't), leave a
> comment on the contest page and/or let me know right away.

The submission part of the 99designs.com contest is now over; we ended
up with a whopping 618 submissions (yikes). Now comes the hard part,
picking a winner. :)

Fortunately, a number of people have been following the contest and
providing feedback in the comments area or in #cassandra, and as a
result we've got the list weeded down to the best 48 designs[0].
However, since it's probably not practical to run a vote with more than
say 10 or 15 options, the final ballot will likely be limited to those
entries rated 4 or 5 stars[1].

I'll wait a few days before starting up a vote to give everyone a chance
to weigh-in on what should make the final ballot. Your opinion matters,
so take a look at the contest page and either send me your suggestions,
or bring them up here on the list.

Thanks,

[0]
http://99designs.com/contests/28940?orderby=timesubmitted&filterby=noteliminated
[1]
http://99designs.com/contests/28940?orderby=timesubmitted&filterby=highrating

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: Logo Design Contest

Posted by Curt Micol <as...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:
> Does this mean that everyone is happy with the 11 candidate logos?
> http://99designs.com/contests/28940?orderby=timesubmitted&filterby=highrating
>
> We'll need to start a vote soon (there are time limits imposed by
> 99designs for awarding the payout).

The only 3 star that I would perhaps like to see promoted in the final
vote is #576. It's really grown on me, I think it has elements of both
the mythology and the columns up top are kind of significant in a
number of ways. They kind of look like server racks, column oriented
database and greek in their design.

Anyways, other than that I think there's a good selection to fit a
diverse community. Now lets just hope there is a clear winner. :)

Thanks for your work on this Eric.

--
# Curt Micol

Re: Logo Design Contest