Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> on 2001/09/26 12:06:59 UTC

Unhappy with "CatalogManager.properties"

I'm a bit unhappy with the decision to put the
CatalogManager-Configuration unlike all other configuration information
in a properties file that has to be in the class path, for two reasons:

 - it is inconsistent, all other information is placed somewhere in
cocoon.xconf or cocoon-sitemap.xmap

 - and mostly: In my configurations if have tomcats with multiple cocoon
apps, and i put the cocoon-libs etc. only in the tomcat classpath on
startup, not in every web-inf/lib directory. In this case i have no
possibility to configure CatalogManager for the different
cocoon-Instances seperatly.

Any possibility to configure the CatalogManager on another way? Perhaps
integrated with cocoon.xconf?

Stefan

Re: Unhappy with "CatalogManager.properties"

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Hello Stefan, there was no choice for the way that the
entity catalog properties file is found via the classpath
in WEB-INF/classes/ ... that is the way provided by the
Sun resolver Java package.

The default catalog is already being loaded from
src/org/apache/cocoon/components/resolver/ResolverImpl.java
using the parseCatalog() method. The location of the default
catalog can already be specified via cocoon.xconf to over-ride
the built-in default path. (I will send a patch to show how.)

However, i do not think that that helps with your situation.
I will attempt to develop a patch that allows you to specify
the location of an additional catalog via cocoon.xconf

There is also another facility that needs to be explored. Entity
catalogs provide a directive called CATALOG which allows
you to specify sub-ordinate catalogs.
(See cocoon2/catalog.html for some explanation.)

Thanks for raising this issue. We were trying to get the basic
entity resolution support in first - that is now done. So it is time
to attend to some other issues like yours. I am not familiar with
the ramifications of running multiple cocoon apps - cocoon-dev
list will help to sort it out.

David Crossley