Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2013/11/28 03:51:56 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Hi,

It's coming up on a year of Alex  being the Flex PMC chair, as per our recently voted in guidelines [1] it's time to review that.

I think Alex done an excellent job and I know he'd happy to continue in the role, but I'd like to see it change so other people get the chance to experience that role. I'd like to put my name up for the role.

What do people think? Are there any other PMC members who also want to take on the responsibility of being the chair? See [2] for duties/responsibilities of the chair.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Guidelines
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

PS Anyone know if the position is usually open to only PMC members only (seems resonable) or committers as well?

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Justin taking over.
-1 to Alex resigning.

I guess I am torn.

My vote is 0.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 28/11/2013 06:52, Erik de Bruin wrote:
> Unless Alex resigns, of course, my vote would go to "never change a
> winning team," and I really think we're winning.
Me too. I think Justin is doing a great job getting the releases out though.

Tom

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
IMO I'm accepting of Alex to remain as long as he wishes as he is doing a
fine job.  The chair has additional duties such as doing quarterly reports,
board meeting minute reviews, new pmc member changes / coordination, and
such.  However the decisions made for the Apache Flex project are voted on
by our PMC and commiters.  To me unless someone else is itching to give
being chair a shot, it seems to me like not changing anything is the
easiest.

If the decision is made to vote for a possible new chair, I would agree
that you must be in the PMC for consideration and it would be beneficial to
only have our full time members on the list.

-Mark

AW: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I see it exactly the same way (Except for the thing with the letters and the number) ;-)

Chris

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Personally, while I think Justin is more than capable to be the chair,
things are running smooth right now and we do have some momentum behind us.
 No need to change things right now so long Alex wishes to remain the PMC
Chair.

-Nick

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> If there are only a few, should we change less
> often, or just keep cycling through those few, or is that, once you've had
> your turn, you can't return to the role?
I see no issue in returning to the role, you you did a good job no reason you cant again - of course you need to be voted in.

Thanks for clarifying Adobe position re your involvement.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> "There's the additional rationale keeping Alex in the position as I think
> it would be less likely for folks at Adobe to assign him to some non-Flex
> position if he's the Flex PMC chair."

I'd be concerned if we thought that Alex needed to be the chair for Adobe's continual involvement in the project. I would assume it really doesn't matter to them one little bit, what is important is that Alex is working on an internal project that uses FlexJS.  But then I don't work for Adobe so that is just speculation on my part.

> Hearing from Alex on that would be good. Because I don't think we are ready
> to miss out on Adobe support just yet.

Some of the  other Adobe contributors (eg Gordon or Carol) are no longer regular contributors to the project, but that doesn't mean Adobe doesn't support the project.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.

"

Posted by Jun Heider <ju...@realeyes.com>.
On Dec 1, 2013, at 1:19 PM, Doug McCune <do...@dougmccune.com> wrote:

> My personal opinion is that you guys should swap and give Justin (or
> someone else who's interested) the opportunity for a year. One thing the
> project needs is good bench strength if anything were to happen that would
> limit someone's involvement. I'd be concerned with the prospect of Adobe
> pulling funding for Alex, and then him having a hard time justifying the
> time.
>
> Overall having two people equally competent to chair the project ensures
> that we reduce the risk of having the chair need to step down and nobody
> stepping into the place. I think having Alex help a second chair hit the
> ground running and ensure the project's continuity would be a really good
> thing at this point in time. In the future switching every year might be
> overkill, but right now I think training up a second chair would be really
> good for the project.

Knowing Alex and Justin both and their commitment to Apache Flex I think either Justin or Alex would both make a perfectly acceptable chair. That said, I would say I agree with Doug. Strong bench and redundancy sounds like a winner to me.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by Doug McCune <do...@dougmccune.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I also think that self-nomination may be an issue as well. I'm not sure how I want to respond to thAt part.

I did ask if any anyone else was interested in the role. This discussion is trying to find out if there is any consensus for change.

As per our (newish) guidelines [1] it's first up to Alex, he can commit to continuing in the role for a year or we have a vote to elect a new chair.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I was under the impression I was only a committer. I think the the team page is a mistake.
Sorry you're right it seems that it s in error. I had thought for some reason you were on the initial list of committers and thus become a PMC when the project become a TLP.

Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I was under the impression I was only a committer. I think the the team page is a mistake.

Harbs

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
I was speaking about Harbs, because he said we was committer only, and the Team page shows he is P+C.

Harbs: " It does not make sense to me for someone who has not put in the effort necessary to get voted on as a PMC member (such as myself) ;-) to become the chair."

are you saying the same ?

Not a big deal anyway...

Maurice

> FYI, you appear as C+P on the Apache Flex Team page.
All of the initial committers were made PMC as well, so it only people who have been voted in since that time may be "only" committers. 3 or 4 (I think of top o f my head) have been voted in as PMC.

With the recent guidelines been voted in we're actually given committers more voting rights ie they can veto code changes.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
Well if you want a turn and it gets voted on.  I'll agree to fairness is
change.

-Mark

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

As I said in my original email I think Alex has done/is doing an excellent job.

One other reason may consider changing the chair is r educed risk to the project. Having people take on different roles means that there is less risk if someone who has always done that role suddenly leaves the project. We have a similar issue with making releases IMO.

But if consensus is that there no reason to change I'll wait until next year :-)

Thanks,
Justin

RE: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex chair

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>It does not make sense to me for someone who has not put in the effort necessary to get voted on as a PMC member (such as myself) ;-) to become the chair.

FYI, you appear as C+P on the Apache Flex Team page:

http://flex.apache.org/about-people.html

(I am not trying to put the pressure on you ;-)

Maurice

I think Justin has been doing an excellent job getting out releases, but at the same time, Alex has been doing an excellent job as Chair.

I'm from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. So, I'd vote to keep Alex as Chair.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.