Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Hensley, Richard" <Ri...@McKesson.com> on 2002/08/22 19:33:41 UTC

Deriving from the MatchingTask

I'm creating a custom task that needs to look at a set of files. I'm
deriving the task from MatchingTask, and I think that means that the
task is bascially a FileSet, meaning that it supports the attributes and
elements that are documented in the FileSet portion of the ant
documentation. I'm trying to get a clear understanding of what I get for
"free" when deriving from the MatchingTask.

Have I made a valid assumption?

Richard Hensley

Re: Deriving from the MatchingTask

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
You get all that for free just as you've stated.

The only thing you need to provide is where to get the base directory
for the implicit fileset.  Have a look at any of the many tasks in Ant's
codebase that extends MatchingTask for examples.

The warning I'd give is that if you decide you want to support multiple
filesets that its best not to extend MatchingTask as that makes things
to kludgey and hacked, or so it feels to me.  For single-fileset tasks
its a good thing though.

	Erik