Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mike Robinson <mi...@marietta.edu> on 2005/03/21 18:21:07 UTC

Spamc Timeouts

I am running a global SpamAssassin 3.0.2 (spamd and spamc) via procmail
on a Solaris box (spamd and spamc running on the same server).  During
periods of high load, I get the following messages in the syslog.

spamc[416]: [ID 702911 mail.error] connect(AF_INET) to spamd at
127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#1 of 3): Connection timed out

I think these are what is causing some messages to come through
unscanned.  Is there a way I can increase the number of retries and the
timeout setting for spamc?  I know I really just need to throw a
dedicated server at it, but I would like to know how to keep this from
happening.

--
Mike Robinson <mi...@mcnet.marietta.edu>

Re: Spamc Timeouts

Posted by DNI Support Department <su...@dynamicnet.net>.
Greetings Mike:

We've seen this happen when spamd dies or otherwise gets overloaded.

You may want to look at the "max children" option; you may have no value
(and therefore want to try it; we use 10 on busy mail servers and that
appears to work ok) or a high value (for which you may want to lower).

You may also want to check that your /tmp partition is not full, and that
the socket file used by SA can be created (upon service start) and deleted
(upon service stop) without problems (i.e. directory and file ownership,
group ownership, and permissions).

Thank you.