Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by glumet <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/12 13:05:06 UTC

hBase - the server has too many connections (maxClientConn property set to 0 does not help)

Hello,
I use hbase to store my data which comes from a crawler. These data are
indexed from hbase to Solr. But I have a problem with hBase. As I have
larger DB now, everytime I try to index data from hbase the error shown
below occures. This is the part of log file hadoop.log

There is something like Caused by: This could be a sign that the server has
too many connections (30 is the default). and I found here on SO that this
could be beacues of maxClientConnections property so I set up this value to
0 but this solution did not help.

/2013-11-11 15:30:22,638 ERROR zookeeper.ClientCnxn - Error while calling
watcher
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation.resetZooKeeperTrackers(HConnectionManager.java:315)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation.abort(HConnectionManager.java:1340)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWatcher.connectionEvent(ZooKeeperWatcher.java:343)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWatcher.process(ZooKeeperWatcher.java:261)
at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:488)
2013-11-11 15:30:27,925 WARN  mapred.FileOutputCommitter - Output path is
null in cleanup
2013-11-11 15:30:27,925 WARN  mapred.LocalJobRunner -
job_local1497313370_0001
org.apache.gora.util.GoraException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException: HBase is able to
connect to ZooKeeper but the connection closes immediately. This could be a
sign that the server has too many connections (30 is the default). Consider
inspecting your ZK server logs for that error and then make sure you are
reusing HBaseConfiguration as often as you can. See HTable's javadoc for
more information.
at
org.apache.gora.store.DataStoreFactory.createDataStore(DataStoreFactory.java:167)
at
org.apache.gora.store.DataStoreFactory.createDataStore(DataStoreFactory.java:118)
at
org.apache.gora.mapreduce.GoraOutputFormat.getRecordWriter(GoraOutputFormat.java:88)
at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask$NewTrackingRecordWriter.<init>(ReduceTask.java:568)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask.runNewReducer(ReduceTask.java:637)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask.run(ReduceTask.java:418)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.LocalJobRunner$Job.run(LocalJobRunner.java:398)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException: HBase is able to
connect to ZooKeeper but the connection closes immediately. This could be a
sign that the server has too many connections (30 is the default). Consider
inspecting your ZK server logs for that error and then make sure you are
reusing HBaseConfiguration as often as you can. See HTable's javadoc for
more information.
at org.apache.gora.hbase.store.HBaseStore.initialize(HBaseStore.java:127)
at
org.apache.gora.store.DataStoreFactory.initializeDataStore(DataStoreFactory.java:102)
at
org.apache.gora.store.DataStoreFactory.createDataStore(DataStoreFactory.java:161)
... 6 more
Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException: HBase is
able to connect to ZooKeeper but the connection closes immediately. This
could be a sign that the server has too many connections (30 is the
default). Consider inspecting your ZK server logs for that error and then
make sure you are reusing HBaseConfiguration as often as you can. See
HTable's javadoc for more information.
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWatcher.<init>(ZooKeeperWatcher.java:155)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation.getZooKeeperWatcher(HConnectionManager.java:1002)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation.setupZookeeperTrackers(HConnectionManager.java:304)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation.<init>(HConnectionManager.java:295)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager.getConnection(HConnectionManager.java:157)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HBaseAdmin.<init>(HBaseAdmin.java:90)
at org.apache.gora.hbase.store.HBaseStore.initialize(HBaseStore.java:109)
... 8 more
Caused by: org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$ConnectionLossException:
KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss for /hbase
at org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException.create(KeeperException.java:90)
at org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException.create(KeeperException.java:42)
at org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper.exists(ZooKeeper.java:809)
at org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper.exists(ZooKeeper.java:837)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZKUtil.createAndFailSilent(ZKUtil.java:903)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZooKeeperWatcher.<init>(ZooKeeperWatcher.java:133)
... 14 more/

Do you know where is the problem please?

Re: hBase - the server has too many connections (maxClientConn property set to 0 does not help)

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
The config parameters outlined previously should be added / modified in
hbase-site.xml

Posted by mohan <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by glumet <ja...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I finally figured it out. I don't know what exactly solved the problem
but I tried to combine these things:

1) property maxClientConnections set up to:

                        <property>

<name>hbase.zookeeper.property.maxClientCnxns</name>
                                <value>0</value>
                        </property>

2) increased time out

<property>
<name>zookeeper.session.timeout</name>
<value>1200000</value>
</property>

  <property>
    <name>hbase.zookeeper.property.tickTime</name>
    <value>6000</value>
  </property>

3)  Nutch 2.1 + HBase 0.90.4 cluster settings
<https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/ErrorMessagesInNutch2#Nutch_2.1_.2B-_HBase_0.90.4_cluster_settings_-_WARN__zookeeper.ClientCnxn_-_Session_0x0_for_server_node1.xxxxxx.com.2Fxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2181.2C_unexpected_error.2C_closing_socket_connection_and_attempting_reconnect_java.io.IOException:_Connection_reset_by_peer>

Then I killed all java processes, start and stop hBase and then run
rolling-restart.sh and everything works fine now.

Re: hBase - the server has too many connections (maxClientConn property set to 0 does not help)

Posted by glumet <ja...@gmail.com>.
I see. But I don't have such a file in my file system because I use only
hbase, not hadoop.

Re: hBase - the server has too many connections (maxClientConn property set to 0 does not help)

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
You should modify mapred properties in mapred-site.xml

Cheers

Posted by Renato MarroquĂ­n Mogrovejo <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Did you give this [1] a look? Looks like the error you are getting.

Renato M.

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/ErrorMessagesInNutch2

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi,

Posted by glumet <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thank you! I really appreciate you answers because I learned many new things
about hbase during last two days. It looks that my jobtracker is not
listening at port 50030, but I noticed there are other ports 60010 and 60030

http://ir.lmcloud.vse.cz:60010/master.jsp
http://ir.lmcloud.vse.cz:60030/regionserver.jsp

I looked into the hbase-webapps folder and there are only two subfolders
(master and regionserver) and under subfolders WEB-INF in web.xml file there
are noticed only /master.jsp, /table.jsp, /zk.jsp (master's WEB-INF) and
/regionserver.jsp (regionserver's WEB-INF) so maybe I have no jobtracker.jsp
file or anything...

As you have written "reduce the task to have less than 30" so is this
configured somewhere in hbase-site.xml? The second thing "increase the ZK
limit" I tried to increase hbase.zookeeper.property.maxClientCnxns to 5000
and then to 0 (unlimited) but it failed in both cases...

Re: hBase - the server has too many connections (maxClientConn property set to 0 does not help)

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
So really, I don't think it's from you code.

Looking at the stacktrace, seems that Gora is creating one connection per
task, and your number of concurrent tasks might be bigger than 30.

Since tasks might run in different nodes, it's a big difficult to share the
connection betweek the tasks.

so I guess you 2 best options are to reduce the tasks to make sure you have
less than 30 at a time, or to increase the ZK limit...

JM

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
So this occurs when you run you MR job to index HBase data from Solr? How
many maps  do you have at the same time? Is that more than 30? If so, can
you try to get than lower to see if  that helps? Else you can see if
maxClientCnxns in ZK side can be increased?

JM