Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Jeremy Ford <ca...@hotmail.com> on 2002/10/25 04:22:30 UTC

Registry service enhancment

While developing with Jetspeed, I have experimented with creating Registry
entries via the API.  Currently, when you add a new entry, that entry will
be placed into the local-portlets.xreg.  I have often wished that I could
control the name of the file that the entry was placed in.  Here is a
suggested addition to the Registry interface.

public void addEntryToFragment(String regName, String fragmentName,
RegistryEntry entry)
     throws RegistryException;

When implemented in the CastorRegistryService, this method would add an
entry to the suggested file name if that entry does not already exist.  If
an entry already exists in another fragment, then the existing fragment name
will be used instead.  If fragmentName is null or empty, then
local-portlets.xreg would be used as the default.

When implemented in the DatabaseRegistryService, the entry could be simply
added (ignoring the fragment name) or a NotSupported exception could be
thrown.

Does anyone have any thoughts?.  Thanks.

Jeremy Ford