Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/11 02:02:11 UTC

Web sockets - version confusion

Greetings,

Document at https://wicket.apache.org/guide/guide/nativewebsockets.html
shows maven example. I am assuming that the version in the example is
wicket version.

However maven repository search does not show jar files for version
6.18.0 or any versions in 6.* series. Wicket-native-websocket does show
all the versions at
http://search.maven.org/#search|gav|1|g%3A%22org.apache.wicket%22%20AND%20a%3A%22wicket-native-websocket%22

Is this documentation problem? Should I be using wicket-native-websocket
and not wicket-native-websocket-javax for jsr 356.

Regards,

Niranjan

Re: Web sockets - version confusion

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 3:32 AM, Adam Hammer <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also found it confusing, I use wicket-native-websocket-jetty9 with wicket
> 6.18 and jetty 9.0.+

I'll update the guide.

> I was not able to get running on jetty 9.2 yet.

Jetty 9.2+ is JSR356 complaint so you should use
wicket-native-websocket-javax. Same for Tomcat 8+.
But websocket-api.jar, jetty-**.jar (9.2) and tomcat 8 are built with Java
7. This is the reason why wicket-native-websocket-javax is available only
for Wicket 7.
If you use JDK 1.7+ for your applications then you can use wicket-core 6.x
together with wicket-native-websocket-javax 7.0.0-M4. Make sure you add
Maven <exclusions> for wicket-core/util/request:7.0.0-M4

Posted by Adam Hammer <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM, Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another naive  question. POM file for wicket-native-websocket-javax
> version 7.0.0.-M4 (https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/wicket/
> wicket-native-websocket-javax/7.0.0-M4/wicket-native-
> websocket-javax-7.0.0-M4.pom) includes jetty dependencies.
>
> If I am using some other container such as tomcat, do I need to include
> these dependencies in the final WAR file?

No.
<scope>test</scope>. See
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html#Dependency_Scope
for more details.

Posted by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 8:16 PM, Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly I need to do following
> so that I have JSR 356 compliant code which in theory will be independent
> of container.
>
> 1. Use 7.0* version for wicket-native-websocket-javax
> 2. Use maven exclusions so that wicket 7 code is not included.
>
> This was the point that was confusing in the documentation.
>
> I see the new note added in the document. Thank you.
>
> Is it possible to add exclusion information to that note as many people
> are still on 6.* versions and this might be common source of confusion.

I'd recommend to use Wicket 7.x instead of mixing versions.
But I'd apply a patch if you send it. See
http://wicket.apache.org/guide/guide/contributing.html

Thank you!

Posted by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com>.
Martin,