Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com> on 2002/09/19 19:40:49 UTC

VOTE: Behavior of Validator

As currently written, the Validator has what I consider a quirk.

Suppose you have two fields, username and password.  Username has
"depends=required" and password has "depends=required.notgod" (where notgod
is a test that makes sure that the user didn't choose god as a
password).  The following behavior occurs:

username=blank, password=blank: two errors generated on "required"
username=blank, password=god: one error generated on "required"
username=george, password=god: one error genereated on "notgod"

This is because the Validator won't look at notgod until *all* fields pass
the "required" test.

I think this is a broken behavior.  It leads to web forms where the user
thinks that they've filled in all the fields correctly, but then get new
error messages they've never seen before.  I'd like to correct this before
Validator freezes for a release, but I want to make sure no one really
really thinks that the current behavior is somehow the right one.  So
please vote:

+1 = Change Validator so that this doesn't occur
0 = I don't give a hoot
-1 = I really like the way it works now (please give a reason)

I'm sending this both to Commons and Struts because both communities are
impacted by the change.

James

Re: VOTE: Behavior of Validator

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
+1 and thanks!!!!
V.

Posted by Dave Derry <dd...@acm.org>.
Posted by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com>.

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
+1 and thanks!!!!
V.

Posted by phpsurf <ph...@ifrance.com>.
+1 definitely

I definitely agree with both:
- The validation process should first iterate through all fields and then,
for each field, iterate through its scpecific validation rules.
- The validation process can stop (for each field) at the first unvalidated
rule, but it should not stop at the first unvalidated field ...

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com> wrote on 20/09/2002 03:40:49 AM:

> As currently written, the Validator has what I consider a quirk.
>
> Suppose you have two fields, username and password.  Username has
> "depends=required" and password has "depends=required.notgod" (where
notgod
> is a test that makes sure that the user didn't choose god as a
> password).  The following behavior occurs:
>
> username=blank, password=blank: two errors generated on "required"
> username=blank, password=god: one error generated on "required"
> username=george, password=god: one error genereated on "notgod"
>
> This is because the Validator won't look at notgod until *all* fields
pass
> the "required" test.
>
> I think this is a broken behavior.  It leads to web forms where the user

> thinks that they've filled in all the fields correctly, but then get new

> error messages they've never seen before.  I'd like to correct this
before
> Validator freezes for a release, but I want to make sure no one really
> really thinks that the current behavior is somehow the right one.  So
> please vote:
>
> +1 = Change Validator so that this doesn't occur
> 0 = I don't give a hoot
> -1 = I really like the way it works now (please give a reason)
>
> I'm sending this both to Commons and Struts because both communities are

> impacted by the change.

+1
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting