Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by IndianAtTech <In...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/20 08:19:52 UTC

File Uploading using HttpClient

Hi ALL,

I would like to have a working example that helps me to understand the
upload concept  using HttpClient.

I also wanted to know Pros and Cons of HttpClient against other API
that supports Uploading file.

Regards
Sudhakar Koundinya

Re: File Uploading using HttpClient

Posted by IndianAtTech <In...@gmail.com>.
Ortwin and Oleg,

I understand what you are saying. Thanks for info

Best Regards
Sudhakar Chavali

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bearingpoint.com>.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.

Michael McGrady wrote:

> Not sure what you are saying here, Gluck.  Can you explain?  I
> personally see these two implementations as competing applications.
>
> Michael McGrady

Michael,

(My first name is Ortwin btw)
No they are not competing but they are complementary. You would use
HttpClient to read a file from disk, wrap it in a HTTP request and send
it to a server. On the server you would use FileUpload to receive the
file via HTTP, decode the MIME and save it somewhere on the server.
FileUpload is typically used by webapp frameworks.

Cheers

Ortwin Glück

Re: File Uploading using HttpClient

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.

Posted by IndianAtTech <In...@gmail.com>.
OK,

Thanks for the Information.   I have found FileUpload API from Jakarta
commons project

Why do we have 2 API for Uploading from Same project

1. MultipartFileUpload - (Jakarta-commons)HttpClient - Project
2. FileUpload  - (Jakarta Commons)

Instead of having 2 API from Same project, why we do not have single
API from same project.  Why can't we bind both API as single project
as both are from Jakarta - commons project??

Or, Is  there any conceptual difference between two  API??

Why I am asking this question is,  If conceptually both are same, on
which API one should rely as both are from same project.

Regards
Sudhakar

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bearingpoint.com>.
Sudhakar,