Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2020/04/01 08:37:20 UTC

Some info from the current CI server emails

Hi,

taking into account that Chris and I simplified each CI Server step (until
step 7) improving it but removing parameters that was not necessary and
that streamlined CI Server a lot, I want to analyze recent CI Server emails.

Alex, that is the most skilled in the CI Server steps from us, started
CI step 1 again. Just "CI Step 1" took him to complete from 6:57am to
8:14am (my time). That means more than one hour and a quarter.

And he had 3 fails as we can see in our emails. Probably because of server
hanging and he need to restart 3 times, or due to things not working
properly for him, what means the same can happen to the rest of us.

https://imgur.com/a/AgRH9cB

There's still 12 steps more, to do (and many more time consuming that step
1).

Just want to expose it to see if that helps all of us here to
understand some of the current problems we are having

HTH

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

RE: Some info from the current CI server emails

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Alex, I’ll do my best to help. Thanks for working on it.

________________________________
Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

ok so seems that in that case we're on the same page
so no point to maintain the vote thread, going to cancel

Thanks!

Carlos

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

    El mié., 1 abr. 2020 a las 20:32, Alex Harui (<ah...@adobe.com.invalid>)
    escribió:

    > And remember, Yishay and I are taking over for what you promised to finish
    > and gave up on.

    I never promised anything (I don't think you can find me saying that). I

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Carlos, I did not say 13 complete days.  I have other priorities I need to manage as well, so I will try to get some time to work on a step every day.  And remember, Yishay and I are taking over for what you promised to finish and gave up on.

How many steps will there be?  About as many as there are commands to be typed on the command line to build and validate a release on a local machine.  That's really all the CI steps are.  The CI steps just take what you would type and put it in a Jenkins job so you don't have to type as much.

The basic aspects of the release will have about the same number of steps as before.  But whether you use CI or local machine the number of commands/steps increased in order to have a separate release for build tools.

-Alex

On 4/1/20, 9:51 AM, "Carlos Rovira" <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

    Hi Alex,

    maybe, but I think is happening the same when you respond in the rest of
    threads. I think you try to bring things to suit your arguments too, since
    we many times talk about facts that use to be ignored and re-answered again
    as if we don't respond already to it before.

    That should not be the case if we all respect other ways to go. But for
    whatever reason, we are not in that page.

    Yishay, already offered to start now, but I think if we're going to have
    even most steps as you think, that continue to be far away from what an
    automated build system in a remote server should be. I think people was
    expecting to ease things, and since right now we have 13 days plus 31
    commands (until step 7), bring it more not seems to me the way to go.

    How many steps you expect when finish? At a minimum all this means that
    you'll need to invest 13 complete days of work in fixing something that can
    fail again as any of us do a change in the future.

    Even more, you can end with with the process working for you and the next
    RM go and try and don't work for him.

    Are you sure is worth the time invested?

    And want the rest of people wait for it?

    (if so I'm ok with that)

    Thanks

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Yishay

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Carlos,

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Yishay,

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Yishay,

this are two things:

If we are discussing if we can use just CI Server, yes I think we need to
vote, since I'm not with that.
I'm for each RM take one of the valid ways.

The other thing is that if you want to take over is ok for me. I thing is
good for the project that other PMC experiment with the CI and see if get
what he expect will do.

Thanks

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.