Posted to users@maven.apache.org by EJ Ciramella <ec...@casenetinc.com> on 2010/08/23 18:03:39 UTC

Maven 3 project ordering

Hello again list - was hoping to NOT be sending all these maven 3 questions...but.....

So we have a parental pom that listed as the top module in the top level pom.

In maven 2, the build just chugs along successfully and handles this no problem.

In maven 3, however, somehow maven jumps right by this particular module and then errors out saying there are version strings missing in some dependencies (because we're using dependency management tags and have the versions defined there).  If I install the parent pom by hand, THEN run the build from the top down, there are no issues.

My past experience with "corporate" poms was that they weren't normally in the standard branching structure and typically deployed to the repo manager by hand, which isn't the case here (yet).

Any suggestions?

P.S. - I'm really enjoying how maven 3 is making us honest with how we have some stuff set up!

________________________________
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the information transmitted within including any attachments is only for the recipient(s) to which it is intended and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of; or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please send the e-mail back by replying to the sender and permanently delete the entire message and its attachments from all computers and network systems involved in its receipt.

RE: Maven 3 project ordering

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@casenetinc.com>.
Thank you all!!!!!

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

RE: Maven 3 project ordering

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@casenetinc.com>.
Ahhh - hmmmm....

> [...]

> > P.S. - I'm really enjoying how maven 3 is making us honest with how we
> have
> > some stuff set up!
> >

> > ________________________________
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the information transmitted
> within
> > including any attachments is only for the recipient(s) to which it is
> > intended and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
> > review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of; or taking of any
> > action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
> than
> > the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error,
> please
> > send the e-mail back by replying to the sender and permanently delete the
> > entire message and its attachments from all computers and network systems

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Maven 3 project ordering

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
+1.
Maven 3 includes improvements about parent pom handling. See
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Iron+Fist+of+Maven+3.0+transition+pack#IronFistofMaven3.0transitionpack-relativepathtoparent

I suspect you're referring to a pom that's just not in the parent directory.
In maven 2, this is not a warning, in maven 3, you just have to put an empty
<relativePath /> in your <parent /> tag.

Cheers

2010/8/24 Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>

> If you set the relativePath element for the parent section, does it make a
> difference?
>
> /Anders
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 18:03, EJ Ciramella <eciramella@casenetinc.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hello again list - was hoping to NOT be sending all these maven 3
> > questions...but.....
> >
> > So we have a parental pom that listed as the top module in the top level
> > pom.
> >
> > In maven 2, the build just chugs along successfully and handles this no
> > problem.
> >
> > In maven 3, however, somehow maven jumps right by this particular module
> > and then errors out saying there are version strings missing in some
> > dependencies (because we're using dependency management tags and have the
> > versions defined there).  If I install the parent pom by hand, THEN run
> the
> > build from the top down, there are no issues.
> >
> > My past experience with "corporate" poms was that they weren't normally
> in
> > the standard branching structure and typically deployed to the repo
> manager
> > by hand, which isn't the case here (yet).
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > P.S. - I'm really enjoying how maven 3 is making us honest with how we
> have
> > some stuff set up!
> >

> > ________________________________
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the information transmitted
> within
> > including any attachments is only for the recipient(s) to which it is
> > intended and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
> > review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of; or taking of any
> > action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
> than
> > the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error,
> please
> > send the e-mail back by replying to the sender and permanently delete the
> > entire message and its attachments from all computers and network systems
> > involved in its receipt.

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Maven 3 project ordering

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Re: Maven 3 project ordering

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Maven 3 defines a strict ordering of how agrregation and parents interact.
Benjamin might be able to recall the exact ordering rules as he implemented
them.

I suspect this is what it catching you out

-Stephen