Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Valentina Rozov <va...@tecnomatix.com> on 2002/01/31 08:07:23 UTC

Virtual directory for remote machine

Hi,

How can I create a virtual directory (alias) in apache, mapped to a physical
directory on another machine in the local net, as I can map in IIS, for
example: \\172.xx.xx.xx\d$\temp <\\172.xx.xx.xx\d$\temp> . In IIS defining
of such a directory requires filling of domain, username and password (when
defining or when trying to open it). In apache I cannot find the way to
define this and when I try to connect this virtual directory I get an error
of "access forbidden".

Thanks,
Valentina

Re: Virtual directory for remote machine

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
> Valentina Rozov wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> How can I create a virtual directory (alias) in apache, mapped to a
> physical directory on another machine in the local net, as I can map
> in IIS, for example: \\172.xx.xx.xx\d$\temp. In IIS defining of such a
> directory requires filling of domain, username and password (when
> defining or when trying to open it). In apache I cannot find the way
> to define this and when I try to connect this virtual directory I get
> an error of "access forbidden".

Can your server mount the remote disk? If so, just mount it then make
sure the path to it is under the document root and allowed. In other
words, mount the disk at a filesystem level thus letting apache see it -
rather than asking apache to make the mount.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.