Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Gonçalo Luiz <go...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/31 00:22:37 UTC

Tiles2 and Struts2

Hello,

After a few days fighting with Struts2 and Tiles2 I decided to ask in
the mailing list: does actually anybody managed to get them to work
together? I tried different approaches:

1 - Use a listener in web.xml -> got an error that kept tomcat
throwing 404 error
2 - use a servlet in web.xml -> all went to until I used a tile result
type which threw a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/tiles/TilesContext

The TILES2 test app does not use struts. The tiles showcase app is
using struts1.

Now can anybody send me a web.xml and struts.xml (and hopefully
tiles-config.xml) files that actually work altogether (i already
digged into all separated working example for each one of them)?

Thank you very much.
--
Gonçalo Luiz

Re: Tiles2 and Struts2

Posted by Emacs <ha...@inode.at>.

Gonçalo Luiz wrote:

> I forgot to mention:
>
> Struts - version struts2-api-2.0.1
> Tiles - version struts2-tiles-plugin-2.0.1

Hi!
I tried for about one week to get this version running with tiles, then i
found a post, where someone (sorry cant find the link right now) said that
with this version there are some problems.
So I switched to 2.0.2 and everything worked fine, with exactly the same
configuration.

My suggestion is to switch to another version, then it should work...but I
haven't tried a higher version than 2.0.2 so far.

Re: Tiles2 and Struts2

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Gonçalo Luiz <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Struts - version struts2-api-2.0.1
> Tiles - version struts2-tiles-plugin-2.0.1

I've been using Struts2/Tiles2 since 2.0.1 (on 2.0.3
now) and have had almost no issues; did you follow the
instructions on the S2 wiki (now located at
http://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/tiles-plugin.html)?
They are what got me going.

Dave

Re: Tiles2 and Struts2

Posted by Gonçalo Luiz <go...@gmail.com>.
I forgot to mention:

--
Gonçalo Luiz

Re: Tiles2 and Struts2

Posted by Joe Germuska <jo...@germuska.com>.
On 1/30/07, Gonçalo Luiz <go...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After a few days fighting with Struts2 and Tiles2 I decided to ask in
> the mailing list: does actually anybody managed to get them to work
> together? I tried different approaches:
>
> 1 - Use a listener in web.xml -> got an error that kept tomcat
> throwing 404 error
> 2 - use a servlet in web.xml -> all went to until I used a tile result
> type which threw a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org/apache/tiles/TilesContext

TilesContext is obsolete (see
http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/TILES-82); you're best off moving to
the newest possible versions of all of the relevant jars.  I'm not sure if
true nightly builds of Tiles have been set up yet, but the latest snapshots
for Struts and Tiles are all working together for me.  It's easier by a long
shot to do this with Maven, but if you need to retrieve new JARs yourself,
you could manually retrieve them from the Maven repository anyway...

Struts nightly builds can be retrieved from
http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/nightlies/2.0.x/

As far as I know, the SNAPSHOTs here represent the HEAD of the SVN
repository even though they aren't published as official nightly builds:
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/tiles/

Maybe that will help...

--
Joe Germuska

"The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
-- Caetano Veloso