Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Vemund Ostgaard <Ve...@Sun.COM> on 2007/11/22 15:01:05 UTC

Running suites.All on the phoneME platform

Hi, I'm trying to run suites.All on the phoneME advanced platform. I've
compiled my own cvm for foundation profile 1.1, with the optional jsr169
jdbc support.

The first hurdle I've struck is that I get a MalformedURLException
saying "unknown protocol: https". It seems that some SSL support is
missing, and I wasn't immediately able to find out how to add it. The
line in the test code that causes problems for me is:

    static final String OLD_JAR_URL =
        "https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars";

in org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.upgradeTests._Suite.

When I change this URL to "http" I am able to start the test. Is there a
reason this has to be "https"? I seem to be able to access that URL fine
in my browser when i change it to "http".

Vemund

Re: Running suites.All on the phoneME platform

Posted by Vemund Ostgaard <Ve...@Sun.COM>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Vemund Ostgaard wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback Myrna and Dan, I will definitely use the
>> oldReleasePath property.
>>
>> Still, the OLD_JAR_URL is static and causes my suites.All to fail
>> when junit is constructing the test classes even if I use that
>> property, so I'll make a Jira to change it to "http" unless someone
>> has objections.
>
> Can you provide the failure information (stack trace etc.) when the
> property is set and https is used. Even though OLD_JAR_URL is a static
> it's just a String, so it can't be causing the failure.
Good point, I jumped to a conclusion.
> From looking at the code the URL using OLD_JAR_URL should only be
> created if the property is not set. So it would be a bug if the
> property is set but OLD_JAR_URL continues to be used to attempt to
> connect to the svn repo.
I didn't get a stack trace, junit.textui.Testrunner only said:

Failed to invoke suite():junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: https

Setting derbyTesting.oldReleasePath to a dummy value does get around the
problem, so no bug there.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Vemund Ostgaard wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback Myrna and Dan, I will definitely use the
> oldReleasePath property.
>
> Still, the OLD_JAR_URL is static and causes my suites.All to fail when
> junit is constructing the test classes even if I use that property, so
> I'll make a Jira to change it to "http" unless someone has objections.

Can you provide the failure information (stack trace etc.) when the
property is set and https is used. Even though OLD_JAR_URL is a static
it's just a String, so it can't be causing the failure. From looking at
the code the URL using OLD_JAR_URL should only be created if the
property is not set. So it would be a bug if the property is set but
OLD_JAR_URL continues to be used to attempt to connect to the svn repo.

Dan.

Re: Running suites.All on the phoneME platform

Posted by Vemund Ostgaard <Ve...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 11/22/07, Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/22/07, Vemund Ostgaard <Ve...@sun.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I'm trying to run suites.All on the phoneME advanced platform. I've
> > compiled my own cvm for foundation profile 1.1, with the optional jsr169
> > jdbc support.
> >
> > The first hurdle I've struck is that I get a MalformedURLException
> > saying "unknown protocol: https". It seems that some SSL support is
> > missing, and I wasn't immediately able to find out how to add it. The
> > line in the test code that causes problems for me is:
> >
> >    static final String OLD_JAR_URL =
> >        "https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars";
> >
> > in org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.upgradeTests._Suite.
> >
> > When I change this URL to "http" I am able to start the test. Is there a
> > reason this has to be "https"? I seem to be able to access that URL fine
> > in my browser when i change it to "http".
> >

> > Vemund
> >
> I don't think this needs to be https.
> I modified the _Suite.java with revision 597467. If I was wrong, it
> can be changed back.
>
> Myrna

I should also mention, that if you intend to run the upgrade tests
(ir)regularly, you should download the old versions' derby.jar files
and start the upgrade suite with -DderbyTesting.oldReleasePath=</top
dir for oldjar dirs>
Sorry for the nag.
Myrna

Re: Running suites.All on the phoneME platform

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.