Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by si...@insession.com on 2005/07/12 03:44:58 UTC

Removal of SNAPSHOTs from builds

I was thinking a good way to get a start on removal of SNAPSHOTs is to
raise a JIRA issue for each SNAPSHOT we depend upon so each can be
individually tracked/discussed and worked on.  The etc/project.properties
file could then be updated with a comment for each SNAPSHOT containing the
JIRA issue number.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

I would then ask that anyone with knowledge of each SNAPSHOT or patched
version to assign it to themselves and comment in the JIRA issue on why we
are using it and whether we can move to a formal release or an estimate of
when that may be possible if known.

This should allow us to track the work required and the state of it.

The  "Release specs as a separate distro from M4" mail thread seemed to
indicate the specs JARS are going to be moved to formal versions.  Has a
decision been reached?  Would it make sense to have a single JIRA issue
for all the spec jars?

Have people been using a tool in the past to see the dependency tree?  If
so what tool?

Here is the current list of SNAPSHOTS taken from etc/project.properties:

    # hack to work with activemq
    geronimo_kernel_version=1.0-SNAPSHOT
    geronimo_system_version=1.0-SNAPSHOT

    # actual dependencies
    activemq_version=3.1-SNAPSHOT
    geronimo_version=1.0-SNAPSHOT
    openejb_version=2.0-SNAPSHOT
    tmporb_version=1.0-SNAPSHOT
    tranql_version=1.0-SNAPSHOT
    tranql_connector_version=1.0-SNAPSHOT
    geronimo_spec_activation_version=1.0.2-SNAPSHOT
    geronimo_spec_javamail_version=1.3.1-SNAPSHOT
    activecluster_version=1.0-SNAPSHOT
    axis_version=1.3-SNAPSHOT
    commons_discovery_version=SNAPSHOT
    ews_version=SNAPSHOT
    jaxb_ri_version=SNAPSHOT
    juddi_version=SNAPSHOT
    scout_version=1.0-SNAPSHOT
    servicemix_version=1.0-SNAPSHOT

The following are look like they aren't formal versions, shall I also
create JIRA issues for these (see note about spec JARs above).  Even if
there isn't a formal version available it would be good to document where
the dependency is used and have the issue to review later in time to see
if the situation has changed?

    geronimo_spec_corba_version=2.3-rc4
    geronimo_spec_ejb_version=2.1-rc4
    geronimo_spec_j2ee_version=1.4-rc4
    geronimo_spec_j2ee_connector_version=1.5-rc4
    geronimo_spec_j2ee_deployment_version=1.1-rc4
    geronimo_spec_j2ee_jacc_version=1.0-rc4
    geronimo_spec_j2ee_management_version=1.0-rc4
    geronimo_spec_jaxr_version=1.0-rc4
    geronimo_spec_jaxrpc_version=1.1-rc4
    geronimo_spec_jms_version=1.1-rc4
    geronimo_spec_jsp_version=2.0-rc4
    geronimo_spec_jta_version=1.0.1B-rc4
    geronimo_spec_saaj_version=1.1-rc4
    geronimo_spec_servlet_version=2.4-rc4
    geronimo_spec_qname_version=1.1-rc4
    axion_version=1.0-M3-dev
    cglib_version=HEAD-06-06-05
    commons_jelly_version=1.0-beta-4
    drools_version=2.0-beta-13
    emberio_version=0.3-alpha
    jetty_version=5.1.4rc0
    jdbm_version=0.20-dev
    openorb_version=1.4.0-GERONIMO
    servicemix_spring_version=1.2.2-dev-2
    stax_version=1.1.1-dev
    wsdl4j_version=PATCH-1193602
    xfire_version=20050202
    xml_apis_version=1.0.b2
    xmlbeans_version=1.0-DEV
    xmlpull_version=1.1.3.4d_b4_min

Thanks,

John

Re: Removal of SNAPSHOTs from builds

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

> It strikes me that a lot of the dependencies here shouldn't even be
> there.  At least, I have no idea which component pulls them in.  It
> would be great to see which ones can be removed entirely, although
> I don't have an efficient reproducible procedure in mind.
>
> If a dependency is needed only in a module that is not needed in
> the "j2ee core" I wonder if it could be in a different section of
> the file?
>
> Can anyone think of a way of cross-referencing which modules use
> which depenency?

I did this a while ago for some due diligence work, trying to figure
out what needed what.  I'll see if I can find my scripts.  I was just
scanning the maven files...

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Removal of SNAPSHOTs from builds

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

?

?
> ant_version=1.6.5
> ##antlr_version=2.7.2
> antlr_version=2.7.5
> ##asm_version=1.4.3
> asm_version=1.5.3
? axion is handy but dead.  I'm afraid I think we should stop using it
> axion_version=1.0-M3-dev
> axis_version=1.3-SNAPSHOT
> ##avalon_framework_version=4.1.4
?  dain, I think you should take this stuff out of m4.  Can you explain
the risks you see?
> avalon_framework_version=4.1.5
> ##avalon_logkit_version=1.2.2
? ditto
?
?
?
> drools_version=2.0-beta-13
> eclipse_compiler_version=3.0.1
?
> emberio_version=0.3-alpha
??
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> >     servicemix_spring_version=1.2.2-dev-2
> >     stax_version=1.1.1-dev
> >     wsdl4j_version=PATCH-1193602
> >     xfire_version=20050202
> >     xml_apis_version=1.0.b2
> >     xmlbeans_version=1.0-DEV
> >     xmlpull_version=1.1.3.4d_b4_min
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> > This e-mail message and any attachments may
> contain confidential,
> > proprietary or non-public information.  This
> information is intended
> > solely for the designated recipient(s).  If an
> addressing or transmission
> > error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify
> the sender immediately
> > and destroy this e-mail.  Any review,
> dissemination, use or reliance upon
> > this information by unintended recipients is
> prohibited.  Any opinions
> > expressed in this e-mail are those of the author

Discover Yahoo!

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.