Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> on 2020/02/06 18:50:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Re: [VOTE-PROPOSAL] Proposal to deprecate Google Groups

Hi -

What types of discussions are frequent on the google group? How many posts are typical?

Dave

Re: [DISCUSS] Re: [VOTE-PROPOSAL] Proposal to deprecate Google Groups

Posted by Jon Malkin <jo...@gmail.com>.
From experience with slack channels, I like the separate users@ vs dev@
model. I'd be fine with a footer appending to messages, if apache supports
it and we want it, on ther users@ inviting people to joining dev@ to get
involved with development. So I'm very much not trying to hide the dev@
list. just keep user questions separate from development questions.

The google group has always been intended as a forum for users to ask
questions. It was occasionally used to report an issue (although people are
generally creating issues in git, which is better), although a significant
majority of code posted there was from user code, trying to understand what
wasn't working. I think there have been a couple threads asking about
something in the library code itself, but they've been rare.

  jon

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,