Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nathan Coast <na...@cableinet.co.uk> on 2001/09/28 18:28:14 UTC

tiles vs templates or both

Hi,

I've been looking at tiles and not sure whether its best to use tiles layouts or
struts templates or some mix of the two.  We've currently got a site implemented
using templates but would be looking to implement a portal-like page possibly
using tiles functionality to provide the component layout.

I'm a bit concerned that using tiles layouts would result in two page layout
mechanisms within one app (tiles and templates).

Cheers
Nathan

Dynamic tiles definitions (was Re: tiles vs templates or both)

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@lifl.fr>.
  Hi,

  There is several way to have "dynamic definition".

  The first one is to write your own definitions factory implementing
'ComponentDefinitionsFactory'. The getDefinition() method is called each time you insert
a definition. So you can implement your own to serve your dynamic definition. You change
the factory used in web.xml. See the tiles-chanel.war as example.

  Another way is to associate an Action and a Tile. The action create and set the
definition or read it from factory, and push it to be used by Tiles. Your action use the
forward mechanism to forward directly to a Tile/jsp, or to a definition name. In this
later case, values set in your pushed definition overload values set by definition used
in forward.
  I'm currently writing a new example showing this features (dynamic portal customizable
by user). You can also check tiles-doc/test/testStrutsAction.jsp and
examples.tiles.test.TestActionTileAction.java.

  Cedric

Posted by Nathan Coast <na...@cableinet.co.uk>.

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@lifl.fr>.
  Hi Nathan,