Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Guan Tian Lai <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/14 04:42:14 UTC

Shared Hosting with Subversion

Hello,

 I would like to enquire some information about subversion.

 According to subversion book, I did find a chapter which is related with  access methods. I know that it is best to run in Apache2 web server for  Subversion.

 For your information, we are currently running on a shared hosting business  and using apache version 1.x. I would like to know that this subversion is able  to be run under apache version 1.x and it will not cause security issue as users  will have their own user to login via SSH who will connect to a subversion group  which has the permission to have read and write.

 I am looking forward to your update. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Guti

Re: Shared Hosting with Subversion

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
It's quite unlikely you could get subversion to integrate with Apache 1.x. But it's certainly possible to run one server with Apache 1.x, and one with Apache 2.x, on the same system. What is your base OS? Was Apache installed as a package from the vendor, or locally compiled?

And why are you continuing to use Apache 1.x?

Posted by Guan Tian Lai <gu...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Miha,

Thank you for your update. I really appreciate it.

Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si> wrote: Guan Tian Lai  wrote on 14.03.2006 05:42:14:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to enquire some information about subversion.
>
> According to subversion book, I did find a chapter which is related
> with access methods. I know that it is best to run in Apache2 web
> server for Subversion.
>
> For your information, we are currently running on a shared hosting
> business and using apache version 1.x. I would like to know that this
> subversion is able to be run under apache version 1.x and it will not
> cause security issue as users will have their own user to login via
> SSH who will connect to a subversion group which has the permission to
> have read and write.

The same Subversion book that you mention also states quite explicitly,
that Subversion does not run on Apache 1.x, and never will.

Regards,,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  In¾enir v tehniènem podroèju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
Guan Tian Lai <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote on 14.03.2006 05:42:14:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to enquire some information about subversion.
>
> According to subversion book, I did find a chapter which is related
> with access methods. I know that it is best to run in Apache2 web
> server for Subversion.
>
> For your information, we are currently running on a shared hosting
> business and using apache version 1.x. I would like to know that this
> subversion is able to be run under apache version 1.x and it will not
> cause security issue as users will have their own user to login via
> SSH who will connect to a subversion group which has the permission to
> have read and write.

The same Subversion book that you mention also states quite explicitly,
that Subversion does not run on Apache 1.x, and never will.

Regards,,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju