Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rob Blomquist <ro...@verizon.net> on 2004/10/20 08:48:17 UTC

Fetchmail and Spamassassin together?

This is all precipitated by the volume of spam I receive, and the time it
takes for KMail to pipe it all through SA. I really like some of the more
intensive filters like blacklist, but they take down my use of Kmail for a
minute or so, bugging the pop tarts out of me.

I am one heck of a novice at MTAs but I would like to use fetchmail to grab my
mail from my ISP, then have it dropped to /var/log/spool and allow SA to
check it all out.

Then, once it is all checked, run Kmail to pick it up, filter the spam from
the ham, and move on.

Is this possible? Do I need a wrapper script? Or can I just get fetchmail to
run it for me?

Rob

--
Linux User #183693
http://counter.li.org/

Re: Fetchmail and Spamassassin together?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Rob Blomquist" <ro...@verizon.net>

> This is all precipitated by the volume of spam I receive, and the time it
> takes for KMail to pipe it all through SA. I really like some of the more
> intensive filters like blacklist, but they take down my use of Kmail for a
> minute or so, bugging the pop tarts out of me.
>
> I am one heck of a novice at MTAs but I would like to use fetchmail to
grab my
> mail from my ISP, then have it dropped to /var/log/spool and allow SA to
> check it all out.
>
> Then, once it is all checked, run Kmail to pick it up, filter the spam
from
> the ham, and move on.
>
> Is this possible? Do I need a wrapper script? Or can I just get fetchmail
> run it for me?
>
> Rob

I've been using fetchmail with SendMail and procmail for quite some time
now. If it does not work my system does not know it yet. {^_-}

Seriously, the answer is yes. It can be a "bother" to get it configured
properly for your particular wishes. But once configured you can generally
forget it.

{^_^}

Re: Fetchmail and Spamassassin together?

Posted by Rob Blomquist <ro...@verizon.net>.
On Wednesday 20 October 2004 5:48 am, Anthony Edwards wrote:
Here's my plan spelled out cleanly, but not yet coded:
> > fetchmail -> maildrop -> SA -> maildir
>
> Ditto for my personal mail setup, and it works a treat.
>
> anthony@ultra:~> cat .forward
>
> | /usr/local/bin/maildrop
I am not sure why you created this .forward file?

> anthony@ultra:~> cat .fetchmailrc
> poll pop3.nildram.co.uk proto pop3 user "topflite" password "*******"
> limit 100000
Piece of cake, and I have it working well, to place it in /var/spool/mail/
> anthony@ultra:~> cat .mailfilter
> DEFAULT="Mail/inbox"
so for me that would point to /var/spool/mail/ right?

> logfile ".maildroplog"
>
> `reformail -D 8192 .duplicate.cache`
> if ( $RETURNCODE == 0 )
>         exit
>
> if ($SIZE < 100000)
>        xfilter "spamc"
This is where I want Kmail to pick up, filter into my folders, and filter out
the SA marked spam. I am already running sa-learn against my folders daily.

In these cases how do you trigger the programs to run? I know that fetchmail
can be run on specified intervals, but what about maildrop?

It seems that scripting the whole thing from cron may be the way to go, all in
one script? That way, the mail would be fetched, SA'd and prepared for pickup
smoothly.

Rob

Posted by Anthony Edwards <an...@uk.easynet.net>.
On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 07:25:08AM -0400, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> Rob Blomquist wrote:
>
> > This is all precipitated by the volume of spam I receive, and the time it
> > takes for KMail to pipe it all through SA. I really like some of the more
> > intensive filters like blacklist, but they take down my use of Kmail for a
> > minute or so, bugging the pop tarts out of me.
> >
> > I am one heck of a novice at MTAs but I would like to use fetchmail to
> > grab my mail from my ISP, then have it dropped to /var/log/spool and allow
> > SA to check it all out.
> >
> > Then, once it is all checked, run Kmail to pick it up, filter the spam
> > from the ham, and move on.
> >
> > Is this possible? Do I need a wrapper script? Or can I just get fetchmail
> > to run it for me?
> >
> > Rob
> >

> I do this:
>
> fetchmail -> maildrop -> SA -> maildir

Ditto for my personal mail setup, and it works a treat.

anthony@ultra:~> cat .forward
| /usr/local/bin/maildrop

anthony@ultra:~> cat .fetchmailrc
poll pop3.nildram.co.uk proto pop3 user "topflite" password "*******"
limit 100000

anthony@ultra:~> cat .mailfilter
DEFAULT="Mail/inbox"

logfile ".maildroplog"

`reformail -D 8192 .duplicate.cache`
if ( $RETURNCODE == 0 )
        exit

if ($SIZE < 100000)
       xfilter "spamc"

if (/^X-Spam-Flag: YES/)
       to Mail/junk

(etc)

--
Anthony Edwards
anthony.edwards@uk.easynet.net

Re: Fetchmail and Spamassassin together?

Posted by Luca Venturini <lu...@yepa.com>.
I use imapassassin (modified by me) to read the spam from my imap server
and filtrate there.

Luca

Posted by "Neal D. Becker" <nd...@verizon.net>.
Rob Blomquist wrote:

> This is all precipitated by the volume of spam I receive, and the time it
> takes for KMail to pipe it all through SA. I really like some of the more
> intensive filters like blacklist, but they take down my use of Kmail for a
> minute or so, bugging the pop tarts out of me.
>
> I am one heck of a novice at MTAs but I would like to use fetchmail to
> grab my mail from my ISP, then have it dropped to /var/log/spool and allow
> SA to check it all out.
>
> Then, once it is all checked, run Kmail to pick it up, filter the spam
> from the ham, and move on.
>
> Is this possible? Do I need a wrapper script? Or can I just get fetchmail
> to run it for me?
>
> Rob

I do this: