Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by david reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk> on 2006/06/30 15:37:40 UTC

rdf for export notifications

I realise I didn't attend the BOF but believe there was talk about
adding export data. The initial suggestion I saw was for an old
fashioned clunking system that just seems so 1990's, so I'm proposing a
slightly newer 2001-2002 model - following the rough outline of
projects.a.o whereby each project maintains their own file and they are
aggregated as required. This model seems to have obvious relations to
the way the asf is structured and most people seem happy with it. It has
the other advantage of allowing a body (such as legal) to control the
output and niceties of formatting while the project simply concerns
itself with it's data.

Taking what I said earlier, and the words of Roy, I've created the
attached. The sample RDF file is just that, a sample and only an initial
pass. I'm sure it doesn't have all the info we need nor will it be the
final result. Feel free to comment and develop :-)

Also attached are 2 xslt stylesheets that will transform the rdf file
into an html page (not pretty, but functional) and the email text that
Justin posted earlier and indicated would be required.

I think we should look at moving this away from incorporating the
details of dependencies (as done in the sample for openssl) as I suspect
we will have much duplication. In fact I think that if this approach is
seen as worthwhile we should try and pursue developing this into a
universal standard, that way each project can simply maintain their own
files and link to the others - very Semantic Web :-)

Just to be clear, I think we should have a set of files for
projects/libs we depend upon that are maintained by ourselves (in the
short term) and all the details in the file move there - replaced by a
link. This will keep the duplication to a minimum and reduce our
problems of maintenance.

These are very much an initial pass at this and I haven't spent long on
it (it'll show I'm sure) but it won't be hard to develop. If people feel
this is the way to go then maybe site-dev is the right place to move the
development? *shrug*

david