Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2001/02/01 23:58:35 UTC

The Ring Goes South

Hrmm... Here it, .17 has been out a handful of days and, realistically,
we should consider a .18 to fix the fix of the fix :)

Why so soon? Why not keep .17 with a recommended patch??? One big
reason: 2.0b1

In my opinion, we need to do 2 things, and soon: (1) Have a robust
and reliable 1.3 build that can last for months and (2) get 2.0b1
out the door asap. Obviously, the latter somewhat depends on the
former.

Not only that, but I'm sure we've all seen the Netcraft reports...
I see a trend. A non-optimal trend. A trend which 2.0 would go
a *long* way in reversing.

The fact is, it's time for 2.0. 1.3 has been a solid and reliable
workhorse, and we should make extra sure that it's the *absolute*
best it can be. But it's also time for 2.0 to come on the scene.
We need a beta out, and soon. As soon as next week. And this will
be a *true* beta; people should expect segfaults, core dumps
and just weird behavior. But getting a *beta* out says a lot.
It says "this is what 2.0 is *really* going to look like." And
it stops the 2.0 from being a playground or sandbox for things
to be added whilly-nilly. It *causes* a mindset change, one which
we need if we have any intention of 2.0 being a reality.

Therefore, I'd like to *strongly* recommend that we get .18 out early
next week and 2.0b1 around the same time... Even though we aren't
pushed by markets and all that other good stuff, the truth is that
we have a community depending on us, and sometimes you get to the
point were it's "either shit or get off the pot."

'Course, I'm not sure I like the logical progression of the
analogy :) :)

Re: Dynamic IP

Posted by Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>.
At 08:36 AM 02/02/2001, Paul Maguire wrote:
>If your server has a dynamic IP address, and you want your server
>available to the world, you'll need to use an external service like
>www.dyndns.com to update your DNS name's address.

Or www.dyndns.org, which is free (but asks for donations for some
advanced features), and run by a really good friend of mine.  :)

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu

Re: Dynamic IP

Posted by Paul Maguire <Pa...@sympatico.ca>.
If you tell us about your problem, we can try to help.

If your server has a dynamic IP address, and you want your server
available to the world, you'll need to use an external service like
www.dyndns.com to update your DNS name's address.

Good luck...paul

Dynamic IP

Posted by "A.U.S Carlos Watfi" <cw...@illotempore.com>.
Hi, I'm trying to configure the apache for windows and there's somthing I
can't resolve.
I think the problem could arise because I have a conection which asigns
dinamic IP.
Anybody knows if there is some specific setting for this kind of connection?

Thanks

A.U.S. Carlos R. Watfi cwatfi@illotempore.com
illo tempore Tel/Fax: (54) (11) 4784-1819
www.illotempore.com

Re: The Ring Goes South

Posted by Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it>.
Peter J. Cranstone wrote:

> Just make sure 1.3.x is stable. Don't set yourselves up for a .19 release.
>
> 2.0b1 needs to be stable too. I'm still recommending you leave out filtering
> and focus on one solid feature that works.
>
> The most interesting thing in the survey is that for the first time NetCraft
> company is now scanning the entire
> Internet for SSL (Secure) server installations and in that area MICROSOFT is
> the OBVIOUS leader.
>
> SSL will be key for 2.0.
>
> I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir.

And the work on SSL for 2.0 even didn't started!
Somebody posted to this list the first message which dealt with 2.0,
from end of 1996 (more than 4 years ago). The status of 2.0 at that
time, was very similar to the status of SSL for 2.0 today. I hope we
will not have to wait more 4 years for SSL ;-)

And it's hard to understand it. There were some processes and
developments which had to make SSL progressing faster:

1. No more RSA patents.
2. No more US limitations.
3. No more massive patches to the core Apache source, thanks to the
   I/O filters.

I was in touch with Ben (and Ralf - he was probably too busy to
respond), and understood that they would co-operate in this effort.
However, I think that ASF should make this development, its main
effort in the following months. It's the most critical key for the
future of Apache 2.

Sorry for interfering in this discussion...
--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it

Re: The Ring Goes South

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
"Peter J. Cranstone" wrote:

> Just make sure 1.3.x is stable. Don't set yourselves up for a .19 release.
>
> 2.0b1 needs to be stable too. I'm still recommending you leave out filtering
> and focus on one solid feature that works.
>
> The most interesting thing in the survey is that for the first time NetCraft
> company is now scanning the entire
> Internet for SSL (Secure) server installations and in that area MICROSOFT is
> the OBVIOUS leader.

Actually, they've done that for years, but you had to pay to get the
survey.

Cheers,

Ben.

--