Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Wei Zhong <we...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/25 07:13:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] FLIP-106: Support Python UDF in SQL Function DDL

Hi everyone,

I would like to start discussion about how to support Python UDF in SQL Function DDL.

The SQL Function DDL(FLIP-79[1]) is a great feature which was introduced in the release of 1.10.0. However, it currently only supports creating Java/Scala UDF in the SQL Function DDL. Although FLIP-79 has already proposed a statement about how to create Python UDF in the SQL Function DDL, it’s still not supported yet.

We want to introduce the support of Python UDF in the SQL Function DDL to fill this gap. It provides another way of using Python UDF and could extend Python UDF to users of Java/Scala Table API, SQL client, etc.

Here is the design doc:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-106%3A+Support+Python+UDF+in+SQL+Function+DDL

Looking forward to your feedback!

Best,
Wei

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-79+Flink+Function+DDL+Support

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-106: Support Python UDF in SQL Function DDL

Posted by Wei Zhong <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your response.

If there's no more comments, I would like to bring up the VOTE.

Best,
Wei

Posted by Xingbo Huang <hx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wei,

Posted by Hequn Cheng <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wei Zhong <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Timo,

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Wei,

Posted by Wei Zhong <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dawid,

Posted by Wei Zhong <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dawid,

Posted by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wei Zhong <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jark,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Actually, the timing of starting a Python process depends on the UDF type, because the Python process is used to provide the necessary information to instantiate the FunctionDefinition object of the Python UDF. For catalog function, the FunctionDefinition will be instantiated when compiling the job, which means the Python process is required during the compilation instead of the registeration. For temporary system function and temporary catalog function, the FunctionDefinition will be instantiated during the UDF registeration, so the Python process need to be started at that time.

But this FLIP will only support registering the temporary system function and temporary catalog function in SQL DDL because registering Python UDF to catalog is not supported yet. We plan to support the registeration of Python catalog function (via Table API and SQL DDL) in a separate FLIP. I'll add a non-goal section to the FLIP page to illustrate this.

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.
Hi Weizhong,

Posted by Benchao Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Big +1 for this feature.