Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Xavier Lopez <za...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/09 23:48:20 UTC

[users@httpd] PHP Not Working

Hi, I'm using Apache 2.2 on Ubuntu 10.04. I've checked that php mod is
enabled. It is. I'm using virtual hosts.  It serves all html files,
but not php. Following is my VHost configuration:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName http://new.dev
	ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        DocumentRoot /home/zave/Public/new
        RewriteEngine off

        <Location />
        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
        RewriteRule !\.(js|ico|gif|jpg|png|css)$ /index.php
        </Location>

	<Directory />
		Options FollowSymLinks
		AllowOverride None
	</Directory>

	<Directory /home/zave/Public/new>
		AllowOverride All
		Order allow,deny
		allow from all
	</Directory>

	ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
	<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
		AllowOverride None
		Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
		Order allow,deny
		Allow from all
	</Directory>

	ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

	# alert, emerg.
	LogLevel warn

	CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined

    Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
        Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

All my VHosts are configured the same way, save for the ServerName and
DocumentRoot directives. Please help.

Re: RE: [users@httpd] PHP Not Working

Posted by za...@gmail.com.
Steve, I get the Firefox alert asking me what program I want it to use to
open the file.

Posted by Steve Brereton <th...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 06/15/2011 10:23 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>> On 06/15/2011 10:13 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>> Since when they recomment something different than AddHandler?
> On 15.06.11 22:17, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
>> Who are "they" ?
> the PHP people apparently...
>
>> The above is the recommended way on the apache httpd wiki:
>> http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php
> Aha, I see:
>
> "Instead of only using the Apache AddType directive, we want to avoid
> potentially dangerous uploads and created files such as exploit.php.jpg from
> being executed as PHP."
>
>> We also unerringly advise it on freenode's #httpd channel.
> Who are "we"? ;)

...the regulars on the freenode #httpd channel, obviously.

--
J.

Re: [users@httpd] PHP Not Working

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>> On 10.06.11 00:03, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
>>> You need to tell apache what to do with .php files.
>>>
>>> This can be implemented - as documented - by adding
>>>
>>> <FilesMatch \.php$>
>>>      SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
>>> </FilesMatch>
>>>
>>> in your Documentroot Directory block.

> On 06/15/2011 10:13 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> Since when they recomment something different than AddHandler?

On 15.06.11 22:17, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
> Who are "they" ?

the PHP people apparently...

> The above is the recommended way on the apache httpd wiki:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php

Aha, I see:

"Instead of only using the Apache AddType directive, we want to avoid
potentially dangerous uploads and created files such as exploit.php.jpg from
being executed as PHP."

> We also unerringly advise it on freenode's #httpd channel.

Who are "we"? ;)
Linux is like a teepee: no Windows, no Gates and an apache inside...

Re: [users@httpd] PHP Not Working

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 06/15/2011 10:13 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 10.06.11 00:03, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
>> You need to tell apache what to do with .php files.
>>
>> This can be implemented - as documented - by adding
>>
>> <FilesMatch \.php$>
>>      SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
>> </FilesMatch>
>>
>> in your Documentroot Directory block.
> Since when they recomment something different than AddHandler?

Who are "they" ?

The above is the recommended way on the apache httpd wiki:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php

We also unerringly advise it on freenode's #httpd channel.

It works.

--
J.

Re: [users@httpd] PHP Not Working

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 10.06.11 00:03, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
> You need to tell apache what to do with .php files.
>
> This can be implemented - as documented - by adding
>
> <FilesMatch \.php$>
>     SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
> </FilesMatch>
>
> in your Documentroot Directory block.

Since when they recomment something different than AddHandler?

The 3 biggets disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tschernobyl 86, Windows 95

Re: Re: Re: [users@httpd] PHP Not Working

Posted by za...@gmail.com.
But when I do that, it says it's already enabled.

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
> [...]

> AllowOverride None

> Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch

> Order allow,deny

> Allow from all

> ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

> # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,

> # alert, emerg.

> LogLevel warn

> CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined

> Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"

> Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks

> AllowOverride None

> Order deny,allow

> Deny from all

> Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128

> All my VHosts are configured the same way, save for the ServerName and

> DocumentRoot directives. Please help.

> I see nothing related to handling PHP.

> You need to tell apache what to do with .php files.

> This can be implemented - as documented - by adding

J, regarding your statement, "You are allowing apache full access to your
OS root directory.
Don't do that." I have a follow up question (or several hundred). I looked
into the output of phpinfo() and saw that the pwd in the 'Environment'
category = /. Which specifically confirms your point, if I'm not mistaken?
So I changed the DocumentRoot Directive in the VHost config
from '/home/zave/Public/new', to '/new', but then the server tells me that
that directory 'doesn't exist.' What am I doing wrong?

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.

[users@httpd] Re: PHP Not Working

Posted by DW <xf...@hotmail.com>.
Xavier Lopez wrote:
> It serves all html files, but not php.

Have you got something loike this in your configurations:

<IfModule dir_module>
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.pl index.cgi index.asp index.shtml
index.html index.htm \
                   default.php default.pl default.cgi default.asp
default.shtml default.html default.htm \
                   home.php home.pl home.cgi home.asp home.shtml
home.html home.htm
</IfModule>

The above looks for php first then pl then etc etc.

Worth a try.  It works on mine [2.2.19]