Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2020/07/27 06:21:44 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Hi guys,

I would like to propose new wording in some Karaf designs:

- In Karaf runtime, I would like to rename master/slave to primary/secondary
- in Cellar, I would like to rename blacklist/whitelist to allowlist and deny list

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
+1

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Romain,

For now, it’s not a vote, it’s a discussion/proposal. So, definitely, once we agree on the terms, I will do a formal vote on both dev and user mailing lists.

To be honest, my personal feeling is that these terms are "technical" and they have sense. I would not change anything. But due to the current "effort", I proposed the renaming ;)

Regards
JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
I think 'primary' and 'replica' can be good.

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

It’s basically the case depending of the lock level. The user by configuration can have a complete "passive/standby" instance, or can have "active" instance syncing some bundle state.

That’s why I proposed primary/secondary as first attend as it covers both cases.

Regards
JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey JB-

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
JB-

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
LOL

François
fpapon@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
No way ;) trunk is for old guys ;)

Regards
JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It sounds good, main is fine.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Cheers,
Jamie

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
+1

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Fabian Lange <la...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello

 - Allowlist/Denylist: +1
 - I have no opinion on leader/primary/active, though active/passive sounds
most natural to me.
"master" branch - initially I thought it's not an issue, as there are no
"slave" branches. But I read[1] and I think it's a good idea. "main"
branch" seem in line with "main()" function. "trunk" is SVN thing and
"default" reminds me of the "index.html" vs "default.asp" debate hundreds
of years ago...

regards
Grzegorz Grzybek
---
[1]:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-to-replace-master-with-alternative-term-to-avoid-slavery-references/

wt., 28 lip 2020 o 11:42 Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

jb@nanthrax.net>:

> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to propose new wording in some Karaf designs:
>
> - In Karaf runtime, I would like to rename master/slave to
> primary/secondary
> - in Cellar, I would like to rename blacklist/whitelist to allowlist and
> deny list
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards
> JB

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

Following this proposal, I will move forward with some PRs.

On Karaf runtime side, the two renaming are master/slave to primary/seconday and blacklist/whitelist to allowlist/denylist.
I would like to use the 4.3.0 slot to include these changes.

Regards
JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Renaming terms

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.