Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2017/02/25 11:40:50 UTC

How would you like your Cloudstack templates?

Hello,

Since templates are being discussed, I wanted to chip in and let you know I am about to revamp the templates at OpenVM.eu which I have neglected a bit.
The roadmap is short and should look something like this:

- we build everything from scratch (as opposed to trying to reuse and modify upstream images - I'm doing this for ubu/deb now) - except coreos which is weird and provide compatible images anyway

- all the kickstarts and preseeds will be on github, everyone is welcome to chip in with improvements or build their own

- separate per hypervisor type template builds, xenserver builds will ship xs-tools, vmware builds will ship openvm-tools, kvm will ship qemu-ga, hyperv will include their tools

The hw is sponsored, I am not paying for it. I'm happy to allow responsible PMC members access to it.

Also happy to host systemvm templates at OpenVM as a "neutral third party".

Now a few questions to which I'd really like some feedback.

1. Cloud-init is rather stubborn in using a default unprivileged user instead of root.
Should I use per distro users - ubuntu for ubuntu, centos for centos, freebsd for freebsd - or should I use something like "cloud" or "admin" for all of them?

2. I currently disable IPv6 in the templates I build from scratch as it is a pain point with Cloudstack at the moment - alas. Should I just leave the defaults on (ie enabled)?

Thanks!

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: How would you like your Cloudstack templates?

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 25 februari 2017 om 12:40 schreef Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>:
>

> Hello,
>
> Since templates are being discussed, I wanted to chip in and let you know I am about to revamp the templates at OpenVM.eu which I have neglected a bit.
> The roadmap is short and should look something like this:
>
> - we build everything from scratch (as opposed to trying to reuse and modify upstream images - I'm doing this for ubu/deb now) - except coreos which is weird and provide compatible images anyway
>
> - all the kickstarts and preseeds will be on github, everyone is welcome to chip in with improvements or build their own
>
> - separate per hypervisor type template builds, xenserver builds will ship xs-tools, vmware builds will ship openvm-tools, kvm will ship qemu-ga, hyperv will include their tools
>

> The hw is sponsored, I am not paying for it. I'm happy to allow responsible PMC members access to it.
>
> Also happy to host systemvm templates at OpenVM as a "neutral third party".
>

> Now a few questions to which I'd really like some feedback.
>
> 1. Cloud-init is rather stubborn in using a default unprivileged user instead of root.
> Should I use per distro users - ubuntu for ubuntu, centos for centos, freebsd for freebsd - or should I use something like "cloud" or "admin" for all of them?
>
> 2. I currently disable IPv6 in the templates I build from scratch as it is a pain point with Cloudstack at the moment - alas. Should I just leave the defaults on (ie enabled)?

I say keep IPv6 enabled on the defaults of Linux. As Basic Networking will have IPv6 support starting with 4.10 :-)

Wido

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <ch...@gmail.com>.
Use the distro default