Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by ceauke <co...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/18 20:46:46 UTC

How to get a file listing

Hi guys

I wanted to do a simple script to show all pictures in a specific folder.
But I don't see any functions to read all files in a folder.

The logic needs to go something like this:
- Open directory to read file list
- If file like *.gif then print  filename

Any tips?

Re: How to get a file listing

Posted by Alan Young <al...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 13:20, ceauke <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So my structure is like this:
> \cgi-bin\myprog.cgi   <---- my program
> \cgi-bin\mydir1\   <----- this one can be seen by my program
> \mydir2\    <----- how do I show this content?

opendir my $DH, '\mydir2\' or die "Unable to open mydir2: $!";

The rest as before.
--
Alan

Re: How to get a file listing

Posted by ceauke <co...@gmail.com>.
Sorry,

got it working with your advice:
opendir(DIR, "G:/FTP/Ski") or die print "Error $!"; worked in the end...
Damn these slashes :-D

Thanks for the help

Re: How to get a file listing

Posted by ceauke <co...@gmail.com>.
No,
that doesn't work either. I used opendir (DIR, "G:\FTP\Ski") ...
I've tried the slashes in all directions, and with and without preceding and
slashes in the end.
e.g. \Ski,  \Ski\, /ski, /ski/

How do I get perl to understand the context? is there some function that
points to the root? (even that will be pointless as I'm on WINXP where I
have multiple drives.

Apache knows the context, PERL does not.

Fully qualify that directory name and it should work.

Re: How to get a file listing

Posted by Brad Van Sickle <bv...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to get a file listing

Re: How to get a file listing

Posted by Keywan Ghadami <k....@ibson.com>.
Hi i asume you using xamp and test.gif is a simple git picture?

The apache webserver will try to execute

myserver.com/cgi-bin/mydir/test.gif

put the picture anywhere else (eg C:\xampp\htdocs\mydir\).
Maybe there are some more infos in your log file (eg.
C:\xampp\apache\logs\error.log)

You can configure the directories and there behavior in
C:\xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf.

best regards

Re: How to get a file listing

Re: How to get a file listing

Posted by "Michael A. Capone" <mc...@cablewholesale.com>.
Depending on your server setup, you may or may not be able to read
\mydir2\.  Whether on windows or a unix variant, apache is configured to
run as "some user" (often, "nobody" on unix); and that user needs to be
given at least read access to the \mydir2\ directory in order for this
to work.

Alan young's snippet he gave you:

   opendir my $DH, '\mydir2\' or die "Unable to open mydir2: $!";

should quickly tell you if you don't have read permission on \mydir2.

Re: How to get a file listing

Re: How to get a file listing

Posted by Dzuy Nguyen <dz...@infinity-studios.com>.
opendir(DIR, "/your/dir");
my @gifs = grep { /\.gif$/ } readdir(DIR);

Re: How to get a file listing

Posted by ceauke <co...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I completely forgot to say.

This is for MOD_PERL on apache. So I want the webserver to show an unknown
amount of pictures.

Re: How to get a file listing

Posted by "Michael A. Capone" <mc...@cablewholesale.com>.
#!/usr/local/bin/perl