Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/22 05:50:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Checking if Apache Compile is Successful

Hi everyone,

We all know that we compile apache to suit our needs,
customized according to our requirement and for a more
robust web server.

However, for apache newbies like me, the preinstalled
apache is a lot easier to do as compared to compiling
your own.

I tried compiling from scratch but have no idea if the
compile was successful or not since I did not get any
error or exit messages upon compile time.

It would be a nice experience as well as a challenge
for me if I could successfully compile one and have
apache up and running.

Please advise me if I have done the right sequence of
procedure or unless otherwise?

I have installed Fedora Core 1 on a test/development
machine, selected web server package which has the
built-in preinstalled apache software, went to the
internet and downloaded from one of apache sites -
httpd-2.0.50-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz, followed the
instructions in one of apache books as with the
following procedures:

1. Moved the downloaded archive to a convenient
location for unpacking, /usr/local/src.
2. Extracted the .tar.gz file, # tar -vzxf
httpd-2.0.50-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz.
3. cd to where the binary has been extracted,
/usr/local/apache
4. # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
5. # make
6. # make install
7. # /usr/local/apache/bin apachectl start

>From here on, I am lost. I edited the httpd.conf file
added all information about the site from listen
directive to VirtualHost directives, did try to issue
the command, # service httpd restart and nothing
happened. Is this because this has been a new compile,
I still need to add this as a service on xinetd?

Have I missed out something here? Please kindly
advice.

Any thoughts, insights and help on how to check if the
compile was successful would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Servie

[users@httpd] Checking if Apache Compile is Successful

Posted by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Eimantas,

Yes, I will delete all comments from httpd.conf as
suggested.

Thanks very much for this good tip.

InHisGrip,
Servie

--- Eimantas Vaiciunas <ei...@sc.vu.lt>

Re: [users@httpd] Checking if Apache Compile is Successful

Posted by Eimantas Vaiciunas <ei...@sc.vu.lt>.

Posted by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com>.
On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 01:23, InHisGrip wrote:
> Hi Scot,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I will definitely follow what you have suggested.
>
> Incidentally, you made some correction as below:
>
> 7. # /usr/local/apache/bin apachectl start
> > >
> > ---------------------------^^ need a / here
> >

> Does this mean that the command should be:
> # /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks again and hope
> it works this time around.
>
> Regards,
> Servie

Correct.  /usr/local/apache/bin is the directory where the command
apachectl is located.

If you put a space between those I would expect an error message along
the lines of bin is a directory.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

Counting in octal is just like counting in decimal--if you don't use your thumbs.
		-- Tom Lehrer

Re: [users@httpd] Checking if Apache Compile is Successful

Posted by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Scot,

Posted by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Nick,

Yes, the file name looks kind of different. But I got
it from the apache.org site from one of its mirrors.

Can you please lead me to the right URL so that I can
download the correct tarball?

Thanks a lot.

InHisGrip,
Servie