Posted to user@struts.apache.org by rickchev <ri...@flash.net> on 2002/09/24 03:41:22 UTC

Torque initialization/configuration in a Struts Application

I'm one of the famous Struts/Torque for dummies.

I have some configuration questions for using torque-3.0.4-b4 and
Struts-1.1-b2 in the Tomcat-4.1.X environment.

I have generated all of the database classes using the torque utilities
and have gotten my web app to connect to the database and return rows
utilizing the classes and the struts framework.  BUT, I know I've set up
the configuration incorrectly.

Currently I don't have any struts <datasource> definitions in my
struts-config.xml.  I also have the following in all of my Struts Action
code: Torque.init("/Rick/myjava/newapp/WEB-INF/TORQUE.properties");.  I
can't seem to get the Torque .properties to be defined somewhere under
the WEB-INF structure.  The web app never finds the file if I define it
as Torque.init("/WEB-INF/TORQUE.properties");

I'm new to all of this, but that can't be the way I'm supposed to do it.
This leaves the path to the properties file hard-coded into every
Action.
Someone please tell me that I have brain damage.  If any of you have
experience with this configuration, please guide me down the right path.
I'm too close to using EJB's for an application that I don't think needs
it.

Thanks
Rick

Re: Torque initialization/configuration in a Struts Application

Posted by Jin Bal <ji...@hotmail.com>.
Try this (or something close) in your Action code :

String contextRoot = getServlet().getSerlvetContext().getRealPath();
Torque.init(contextRoot+"/WEB-INF/TORQUE.properties");

NB: "getServlet()" should work in 1.02.  I think this may have changed in
1.1b2 -  check the API docs to see how to grab a ref to the ActionServlet
(or ActionSErvletWrapper as it may be now).

HTH

Jin