Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ed L Cashin <ec...@uga.edu> on 2003/07/02 20:10:42 UTC

vendor branches (was Re: excess diff between branches)

Ed L Cashin <ec...@uga.edu> writes:

> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
>> You have two options here:
>>
>>   * follow the proper "vendor branching" procedure described in
>>     chapter 6 of the book.  Use the svn_load_dirs.pl script to help.
>
> I'll re-read it.  I'm versioning only a subset of the files in the
> linux kernel, so I get really fast svn performance compared to before,
> but it's easier for me to get confused.

Huh.  After re-reading it, I remember that I was doing something
similar to the steps outlined in that chapter.  They were not the
same, though.  I think that the order of copying may make more of a
difference than I initially thought.

I was doing something like this:

  * import foo-1.0 as ROOT/tags/foo-1.0
  * copy ROOT/tags/foo-1.0 ROOT/trunk
  * copy ROOT/tags/foo-1.0 ROOT/tags/foo-1.1
  * checkout ROOT/tags/foo-1.1, update with vendor changes, and commit
  * checkout trunk as foo and cd into foo working copy
  * svn merge ROOT/tags/foo-1.0 ROOT/tags/foo-1.1

Should that have worked or is it doomed to failure?

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/

Re: vendor branches (was Re: excess diff between branches)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Ed L Cashin <ec...@uga.edu> writes:

>   * import foo-1.0 as ROOT/tags/foo-1.0
>   * copy ROOT/tags/foo-1.0 ROOT/trunk
>   * copy ROOT/tags/foo-1.0 ROOT/tags/foo-1.1

OK, so it looks like {/trunk, /tags/foo-1.0, /tags/foo-1.1} all start
out as pointers to the exact same tree.

>   * checkout ROOT/tags/foo-1.1, update with vendor changes, and commit

So now /tags/foo-1.1 is a little bit different.  It's really a branch
now, not a tag.  :-)

>   * checkout trunk as foo and cd into foo working copy
>   * svn merge ROOT/tags/foo-1.0 ROOT/tags/foo-1.1

That should work just fine, because the foo-1.0 and foo-1.1 trees are
related to each other.  They started out as copies of the same tree.