Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/20 20:23:07 UTC

Facilitating documentation in Synapse Configuration model

Hi All,

It is a good thing to facilitate documentation within the configuration
model it self. At the moment users can use XML comments. But when synapse
configuration model is built and serialized these XML comments get lost. So
it is better to have support for documentation comments.

So one option is to add a documentation tag and a optional attribute to the
XML configuration elements to facilitate the documentations. Please add your
thoughts and comments.

Thanks,
Supun..

Re: Facilitating documentation in Synapse Configuration model

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Supun,

Sorry for jumping so late :-(

Why do we need different interfaces, I personally hate adding a lot of
interfaces. If you think of granulating the interfaces, the final out come
will be you will have separate interfaces for each and every method, so I
prefer going for a single interface with documentation stuff and filename,
name and all other common stuff, the interface could be SynapseArtifact.

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton
Software Architect & Product Manager, WSO2 ESB; http://wso2.org/esb

Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

phone: +1 408 754 7388 ext 51789
email: ruwan@wso2.com; cell: +94 77 341 3097
blog: http://blog.ruwan.org
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ruwanlinton
google: http://www.google.com/profiles/ruwan.linton
tweet: http://twitter.com/ruwanlinton

Re: Facilitating documentation in Synapse Configuration model

Posted by Charith Wickramarachchi <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Heshan Suriyaarachchi <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 for letting the user to add documentation to the Synapse Configuration.

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It is a good thing to facilitate documentation within the configuration
> model it self. At the moment users can use XML comments. But when synapse
> configuration model is built and serialized these XML comments get lost. So
> it is better to have support for documentation comments.
>
> So one option is to add a documentation tag and a optional attribute to the
> XML configuration elements to facilitate the documentations. Please add your
> thoughts and comments.
>
> Thanks,
> Supun..

Heshan Suriyaarachchi

http://heshans.blogspot.com/

Re: Facilitating documentation in Synapse Configuration model

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka
<hi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> May be as a part of this impl we should introduce a new interface common to
> all functional components of Synapse (mediators, sequences, endpoints, tasks
> etc). Currently we have lot of common functionality distributed among
> multiple interfaces (eg: setFileName, getFileName, getName). It would be
> great to unify these stuff into a single interface. The documentation should
> also be a part of this high level interface. WDYT?
>
> +1. I was thinking about introducing something like doucmentInclude. I
think it is better to separate the file name in to a different interface.

Thanks,
Supun..

> Thanks,
> Hiranya
>

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> +1
>> IMO, adding <documentation> tag is pretty straight forward than preserving
>> the comments during building/serialization.
>>
>> -Kasun
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It is a good thing to facilitate documentation within the configuration
>>> model it self. At the moment users can use XML comments. But when synapse
>>> configuration model is built and serialized these XML comments get lost. So
>>> it is better to have support for documentation comments.
>>>
>>> So one option is to add a documentation tag and a optional attribute to
>>> the XML configuration elements to facilitate the documentations. Please add
>>> your thoughts and comments.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Supun..
>>>

>> --
>> Kasun Indrasiri
>> Senior Software Engineer,
>> WSO2 Inc. - "Lean . Enterprise . Middleware" - http://www.wso2.com/
>> Blog : http://kasunpanorama.blogspot.com/
>>

> --
> Hiranya Jayathilaka
> Senior Software Engineer;
> WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org
> E-mail: hiranya@wso2.com;  Mobile: +94 77 633 3491

Tech Lead, WSO2 Inc
http://wso2.org
supunk.blogspot.com

RE: Facilitating documentation in Synapse Configuration model

Posted by "Hofman, Peter (NL)" <pe...@logica.com>.
I think that is a great thought.
IMHO, build a solid (nested) XML Schema first for the Synapse Configuration, with reuse of common (complex/simple) types. It seems this has been started already [1].
After that, select the right approach/tooling to deal with it in Java.
A schema will help validating the Synapse configuration file(s), especially when using an existing XML parser.
Of course, AXIOM can be used too, with validation as described in [2]. But that is just a matter of choice, I guess.

[1]: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/synapse/trunk/java/repository/schema/
[2]: http://wso2.org/library/2905

Cheers,
Peter

May be as a part of this impl we should introduce a new interface common to
all functional components of Synapse (mediators, sequences, endpoints, tasks
etc). Currently we have lot of common functionality distributed among
multiple interfaces (eg: setFileName, getFileName, getName). It would be
great to unify these stuff into a single interface. The documentation should
also be a part of this high level interface. WDYT?

Thanks,
Hiranya

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com>wrote:

> +1
> IMO, adding <documentation> tag is pretty straight forward than preserving
> the comments during building/serialization.
>
> -Kasun
>
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It is a good thing to facilitate documentation within the configuration
>> model it self. At the moment users can use XML comments. But when synapse
>> configuration model is built and serialized these XML comments get lost. So
>> it is better to have support for documentation comments.
>>
>> So one option is to add a documentation tag and a optional attribute to
>> the XML configuration elements to facilitate the documentations. Please add
>> your thoughts and comments.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Supun..
>>

> --
> Kasun Indrasiri
> Senior Software Engineer,
> WSO2 Inc. - "Lean . Enterprise . Middleware" - http://www.wso2.com/
> Blog : http://kasunpanorama.blogspot.com/

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Senior Software Engineer;
WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email  / Pour contribuer comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei, die Umwelt zu schützen. /  Por favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente nao imprimindo este correio electronico.

Re: Facilitating documentation in Synapse Configuration model

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1