Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by henrib <he...@apache.org> on 2020/05/20 10:47:04 UTC

[ JEXL] Java 6 ?

Quick poll before attempting to release JEXL 3.1;
Should we still release with support for Java 6 or should we move ahead with
at least Java 8 ?
Seems to me Java 6 is old enough to be dropped.
One could still build from source with java 6 if needed.
What do you think ?
Cheers

--
Sent from: http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/Commons-Dev-f680415.html

Re: [ JEXL] Java 6 ?

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Le mer. 20 mai 2020 à 17:09, David Barts <n5...@mac.com.invalid> a écrit :

> Java 6 was released in December 2006, making it 13½ years old. That's
> over 94 in computer years! (Laugh if you want but computer technology
> goes out of date so quickly that I find treating it like dogs in this
> regard to be a useful metric.) Oracle stopped supporting it in 2017,
> meaning that since then the platform has not been receiving critical
> security updates.
>
> I say it’s fine to drop support for it, and to make Java 8 (which is
> still getting critical security updates) the minimum supported version.

We have discussed this time and again; the above is not an
argument to make the release Java 6 incompatible unless you
want to _force_ users to be on the safe side. ;-)

We also agreed a long time ago that if the source requires it, or
the developers _want_ to use new features, it is fine to require
Java 8.

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [ JEXL] Java 6 ?

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
Hi.
As a related topic, I don't think travis-ci still supports openjdk6 in year
2020.
travis-ci does HAVE a tutorial about how to add openjdk6 at:
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/reference/trusty/
BUT it is totally wrong.
I followed that tutorial but it failed.
https://github.com/apache/commons-jexl/blob/356f7b9c6ba931df2b8e75c8cf258c6dfecaaa70/.travis.yml

https://travis-ci.org/github/XenoAmess/commons-jexl/jobs/689474160
I have no idea why it failed nor how to run openjdk6 on travis-ci.
If anybody have any solution to solve this problem please let me know.
Thanks.

Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> 于2020年5月21日周四 上午1:14写道:

Re: [ JEXL] Java 6 ?

Posted by henrib <he...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your inputs: consensus is java 8 is the way to go; reopened
JEXL-249, will fix momentarily.

--
Sent from: http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/Commons-Dev-f680415.html

Re: [ JEXL] Java 6 ?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ JEXL] Java 6 ?

Posted by David Barts <n5...@mac.com.INVALID>.

Re: [ JEXL] Java 6 ?

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

> Quick poll before attempting to release JEXL 3.1;
> Should we still release with support for Java 6 or should we move ahead
> with
> at least Java 8 ?

Does the code use JDK8 features?

> Seems to me Java 6 is old enough to be dropped.

If "old" is a burden, yes, but not a good reason per se.
IOW: What would be the advantages?

> One could still build from source with java 6 if needed.

Doesn't that mean that it would still support Java 6?

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [ JEXL] Java 6 ?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.