Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Fritze, Florian" <fl...@irb.fraunhofer.de> on 2020/03/19 11:43:59 UTC

AJP Connector issue

Dear Tomcat users,

since the Tomcat release with the Ghostcat security fix (Tomcat 8.5.51) me
as an admin have the problem using the
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html module to connect
the Apache HTTPD with the Tomcat running on localhost. The attribute
secretRequired must be set to "true" or "false" with "false" set the
connection is not possible between Tomcat and Apache HTTPD. With "true" the
Apache development is not ready in the current version to work with the
"secret" attribute. Only the next version of Apache 2.4 supports this
attribute.

So I want to use the newest Tomcat version and an AJP connector but after
the Ghostcat fix release there is this attribute which does not work in my
configuration.

Are there any suggestions or solutions available that you can deliver me
(links or documentation, etc.)

Thanks in advance

Florian Fritze

--

Florian Fritze M.A.

Fraunhofer-Informationszentrum Raum und Bau IRB
Competence Center Research Services & Open Science
Nobelstr. 12, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Telefon +49 711 970-2713

 <ma...@irb.fraunhofer.de> florian.fritze@irb.fraunhofer.de

Re: AJP Connector issue

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: AJP Connector issue

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat/perl)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 19.03.2020 12:43, Fritze, Florian wrote:
> Dear Tomcat users,
>
> since the Tomcat release with the Ghostcat security fix (Tomcat 8.5.51) me as an admin
> have the problem using the https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html module
> to connect the Apache HTTPD with the Tomcat running on localhost. The attribute
> secretRequired must be set to „true“ or „false“ with „false“ set the connection is not
> possible between Tomcat and Apache HTTPD. With „true“ the Apache development is not ready
> in the current version to work with the „secret“ attribute. Only the next version of
> Apache 2.4 supports this attribute.
>
> So I want to use the newest Tomcat version and an AJP connector but after the Ghostcat fix
> release there is this attribute which does not work in my configuration.
>
> Are there any suggestions or solutions available that you can deliver me (links or
> documentation, etc.)

Hello.
It all depends on your configuration, and how your front-end Apache httpd server(s)
connect to your back-end tomcat server(s).
For example :
- if all your pairs of httpd server/tomcat server are running on the same host, then you
do not really have a security issue, and adding a secret will not really bring any
additional security
- if all your pairs of httpd server/tomcat server are communicating only over an internal
(presumed to be fairly safe) network, then you do have a limited security issue (limited
by how "safe" your internal network really is), and a secret may help a bit in reducing
this already limited security issue
- if you have pairs of httpd/tomcat which communicate over a public network, then you do
have a security issue, and adding a secret will help, but it is not going to make that
security issue really disappear (*).

But if you want to add a secret anyway, then it depends on how httpd communicates with its
corresponding tomcat, and there are 2 options :
- using the httpd mod_proxy_ajp module
or
- using the httpd mod_jk module

As I understand from your message, the current mod_proxy_ajp module released with the
current httpd 2.4, does not support that "secret" yet.
But the currently available mod_jk module does support that option, and the current mod_jk
module is compatible with any httpd 2.4 version.
And, functionally, mod_proxy_ajp and mod_jk can do the same things.
It is just the setup and configuration (at the httpd level) that is somewhat different
between the two. (there is no difference at the tomcat level).

So if you are currently using mod_proxy_ajp (**), then if you want to implement this
"secret" option, you would have to change your httpd configuration, to use mod_jk instead
of mod_proxy_ajp (temporarily, until the appropriate version of mod_proxy_ajp is released).

(*) the secret, if correctly implemented, will block any other host than your own hosts
from connecting to the tomcat AJP Connector, and thus from "abusing" your tomcats by
sending them invalid or malicious requests.
But it would not block someone from intercepting the traffic between your httpds and your
tomcats and reading it, because the AJP protocol is not encrypted, and because there is no
implementation available that makes this traffic be encrypted.

(**) If you are currently using mod_proxy_ajp, then it is also likely that you are not
using the option whereby httpd can do the user authentication, and then pass the
authenticated user-id along to tomcat, for tomcat to use it.
That means that you are already avoiding one possible security issue.

Re: AW: AW: AJP Connector issue

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RK,

On 3/20/20 13:33, RK Ashburn wrote:
> thanks Chirs. fixed it to an real ip,

In many cases, 0.0.0.0 is basically the same as binding to the
interface which represents the outside world (e.g. eth0, etc.).

See my other reply in this thread to see what I would recommend in
terms of a secure deployment of AJP.

- -chris

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 12:40 PM Christopher Schultz <
> chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>
> RK,

> address="0.0.0.0"
> trying to
>
> binding to "all interfaces" may work, but it's not terribly
> secure. Are you really expecting an AJP connection from anywhere in
> the world?
>
> -chris

> org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.startInternal(Connector.java:1
05

7)

at

> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal(StandardService
.j

ava:440)

at

> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.j
av

a:766)

at

> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.j
av

a:62)

> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccess
or

Impl.java:43)

at

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The AJP
> Connector
> is either
>>>>>
> org.apache.coyote.ajp.AbstractAjpProtocol.start(AbstractAjpProtocol.ja
va

:274)

> org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.startInternal(Connector.java:1
05

5)

> Tomcat

> httpd and

> discussed
> seems to

> first
> doesn't work)

> eine

> (KHTML, like

> 885 "

> page look
> differemt in

er

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. März 2020 20:14

Betreff: Re: AJP Connector issue

Re: AW: AW: AJP Connector issue

Posted by RK Ashburn <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: AW: AW: AJP Connector issue

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Jon,

On 3/20/20 13:28, jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com.INVALID wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> Is there an entry that can go in the AJP connector to restrict
> what
addresses it will listen to requests from? Meaning you can list the IP
addresses of the web servers?

Tomcat has no knowledge of your web servers. But presumably YOU know
where your web servers are and how they should be connecting. If they
are on different hosts, using AJP means that you are communicating
over an insecure channel over a network. Is that acceptable to you? IF
not, you need to either switch protocols (e.g. HTTPS) or tunnel AJP
through something like stunnel.

IMO, if you want to use AJP then you need to do this:

client

 | HTTP
 \/
web server

 | AJP-over-TLS (stunnel)

 \/
app server:8010

 | stunnel unwraps AJP

 \/
app server:8009

In this scenario, Tomcat listens on 127.0.0.1:8009 and stunnel listens
on the public interface and requires mutual TLS in order to connect.
You can also use IP whitelisting if you want to be even more paranoid.

> I know I'm top replying, but Outlook sucks with this. :-(

Just go to the bottom of the message and start typing instead of
typing at the top :)

- -chris

> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net> Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 11:40
> AM To: users@tomcat.apache.org Subject: Re: AW: AW: AJP Connector
> issue
>
> RK,
>
> On 3/20/20 09:57, RK Ashburn wrote:
>> I have tested r successful AJP connector with apache proxy on
>> (tomcat 7)
>
>> 1. For AJP connector adding  secretRequired="false" and
> address="0.0.0.0"
>> resolved my connectivity issue. I suspect the issue you are
>> having (with 403)  is more like a permissions issue on the site
>> the request is
> trying to
>> reach, than a AJP connector configuration issue.
>
> binding to "all interfaces" may work, but it's not terribly
> secure. Are you really expecting an AJP connection from anywhere in
> the world?
>
> -chris
>
>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 8:50 AM Fritze, Florian <
>> florian.fritze@irb.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>
>>> Just to make it clear what from my opinion the problem is:
>>>
>>> SCHWERWIEGEND [main]
>>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Failed
>>> to start connector [Connector[AJP/1.3-8011]]
>>> org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Der Start des
>>> Protokoll-Handlers ist fehlgeschlagen at
>>>
> org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.startInternal(Connector.java:1
05

7)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)

at

> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal(StandardService
.j

ava:440)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)

at

> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.j
av

a:766)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)

at
>>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:688)
>>> at
>>>
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.j
av

a:62)
>>> at
>>>
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccess
or

Impl.java:43)
>>> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) at
>>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:343)

at
>>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:474)
>>> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The AJP
> Connector
>>> is configured with secretRequired="true" but the secret
>>> attribute
> is either
>>> null or "". This combination is not valid. at
>>>
> org.apache.coyote.ajp.AbstractAjpProtocol.start(AbstractAjpProtocol.ja
va

:274)
>>> at
>>>
> org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.startInternal(Connector.java:1
05

5)

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. März 2020 20:14

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
Christopher,

Is there an entry that can go in the AJP connector to restrict what addresses it will listen to requests from? Meaning you can list the IP addresses of the web servers?

I know I'm top replying, but Outlook sucks with this. :-(

Thanks,

Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
Jon McAlexander
Asst Vice President

Middleware Product Engineering
Enterprise CIO | Platform Services | Middleware | Infrastructure Solutions

Upcoming PTO: 11/8, 11/11, 11/15, 11/22, 11/28, 11/29, 12/2, 12/6, 12/13, 12/20 – 12/31

8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
MAC: F4469-010
Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508

jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

> [...]

>> But I do not remember ptecisely what the issue was, and it also
seems to
>> me that this concerned an IIS front-end, not Apache httpd.
>>
>> Perhaps someone else on the list has a better idea.
>>

>> Incidentally, it also seems that you are, in httpd, proxying
>> *all* requests to tomcat. Which raises the question of why you have a
>> httpd front-end in the
first
>> place. (But that's a later discussion maybe, let's first see why "/"
doesn't work)

>> On 20.03.2020 11:07, Fritze, Florian wrote:
>>> Here is the additional information:
>>>
>>> The error page looks like Tomcat:
>>>
>>> HTTP Status 403 – Forbidden
>>>
>>> _____
>>>
>>> Type Status Report
>>>
>>> Beschreibung Der Server hat die Anfrage verstanden, verbietet
eine

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. März 2020 20:14

Re: AW: AW: AJP Connector issue

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

> [...]

>> like.. But I do not remember ptecisely what the issue was, and it
>> also
seems to
>> me that this concerned an IIS front-end, not Apache httpd.
>>
>> Perhaps someone else on the list has a better idea.
>>

>> Incidentally, it also seems that you are, in httpd, proxying
>> *all* requests to tomcat. Which raises the question of why you
>> have a httpd front-end in the
first
>> place. (But that's a later discussion maybe, let's first see why
>> "/"
doesn't work)

>> On 20.03.2020 11:07, Fritze, Florian wrote:
>>> Here is the additional information:
>>>
>>> The error page looks like Tomcat:
>>>
>>> HTTP Status 403 – Forbidden
>>>
>>> _____
>>>
>>> Type Status Report
>>>
>>> Beschreibung Der Server hat die Anfrage verstanden, verbietet
eine

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. März 2020 20:14

Re: AW: AW: AJP Connector issue

Posted by RK Ashburn <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: AW: AW: AW: AJP Connector issue

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat/perl)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi Florian.

The log below shows clearly "The AJP Connector is configured with secretRequired="true"".
This probably comes from the fact that in your AJP Connector configuration, you either
- have an explicit secretRequired="true" attribute
or
- you do not mention this attribute, and it defaults to "true"

To get the previous behaviour (without secret), you now *must* specify :
secretRequired="false".
This is one of the changes in the latest tomcat versions compared to the previous one, and
this was motivated by security reasons.
So I doubt that there is any chance for that change to be reversed.

AW: AW: AW: AJP Connector issue

Re: AW: AW: AJP Connector issue

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat/perl)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Ok, so it looks like :