Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com> on 2014/06/19 16:08:02 UTC

cloudstack survey

All

I have been working with Sebastien to create a cloudstack usage adoption survey.

We have a beta survey here:
http://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e080008

Some of you have previously given some great input on this, and I have tried to accommodate that input.
Mark H shared a previous survey he put out (cloudstack pre-ASF days) . Although I have lifted some questions from that, I felt that a lot of it was generalised cloud computing questions and that including them would increase the overall length and potential drop out rate

Please could I ask some people to go through this survey and provide comments of the questions/format

The tool we've used (kindly donated by BT) will allow us to embed the survey in CS.org  - I would propose doing that once we've got the questions bottomed out

Kind Regards
Giles

Giles Sirett
CEO

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com/> | Twitter:@shapeBlue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: cloudstack survey

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Wow --Robyn-- amazing feedback!

Clearly you've been there before. Hugely helpful!

-Sally

Re: cloudstack survey

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
All
Thanks for great feedback
Have been travelling so will digest all on Monday

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541<tel:+44%2020%203603%200541> | M: +44 796 111 2055<tel:+44%20796%20111%202055>

in CS.org<http://CS.org>  - I would propose doing that once we've got the questions

www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com><http://www.shapeblue.com/> |

Re: cloudstack survey

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
4 - “Your name”
5 - Couldya add cloud provider? Otherwise they come across as the generic “IT” or (possibly) mis-classified “telco"
7 - hq or local office? Can country be a drop down?
11/12 - Do we care if they’ve rolled out more than 1 cloud?
18 - You mention CloudStack “releases” but radio button, so I can’t select more than 1
22 - ACS doesn’t support Ceph RBD for secondary storage (AFAIK) but the Ceph object gateway (S3/Swift compatible) instead. Also, not sure Sheepdog can be used for secondary storage?
32 - You’ve got 1-100 twice

On the final page - would be great if we had an up-to-date list of meetups. Looks like there’s somewhat of a list at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Local+User+Groups, also http://lanyrd.com/topics/apache-cloudstack/

Seems like we should have a better page for meetups - like list them on an interactive map or some such…

John

On Jun 24, 2014, at 7:50 AM, Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>> wrote:

All

I have accommodated *most* of the  feedback points
http://www.formwize.com/CloudStackSurvey

Also some inline comments on Robyn's comprehensive feedback.

I'd like to get this bottomed out ASAP

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

[...]

Would love to, this platform doesn’t give us that

* It may be helpful to specify something around "Who should fill out this survey?" "Users"/usage is somewhat nebulous in this space; it might be helpfu to qualify this a little bit not necessarily to *exclude* people, but more to ensure that people feel like their "usage" qualifies. (Somewhat related to that: One of the pages of questions has quite a few details that I am guessing not all "users" will necessarily know - just want to make sure they dont' get there and then start thinking, "Oh, they want a different type of user/operator")

done

* Re: Free-form boxes on likes/dislikes/etc - a few things:
** When I see questions like this early on in a survey, EVEN IF THEY ARE OPTIONAL, I start wondering if the whole survey is going to be like this and if I'm goign to have to be doing a lot of typing, which disincentivizes me from moving on I suggest having questions like this at the end.

Moved to end

** Having recently done a survey of engineers at my lovely company with free-form text boxes - and getting 1600 respondents to each fill out 3 free-form text boxes similar to these -- (1) HOLY CRAP, it really, really sucks to go through and parse and sort and turn into anything useful, (2) Is someone actually going to DO SOMETHING with that information. Because asking people to spend time really thinking about this kind of stuff (and those that care really will put their hearts into it, believe it or not) and then having nothing ever happen with it can be less than awesome. And disincentivizing in the future.

Agreed. We wont get 1600 :-)

Comments/thoughts on specific questions:

Intro comments - "we would like to... include you on our list of users" - it might be useful to link to what that list looks like. When I read the words "include me in your list" I immediately think I'm going to be added to a mailing list, not a wiki / web page, so adding clarity there may be helpful. (There is a bit more clarity when you read down further into the questions and it says "share my organisations name as a user".)

Done

[...]

Platform wont let us do that (don’t ask !)

BONUS on 16/17: Why is "CURRENTLY" in all caps? Is another useful question knowing what workloads they are planning to deploy in the future?

You answered your own question. Yes, I had meant to (and now have) added a Q on future workload plans

19. What CS releases are you currently using?
* Add "I don't know"

Done
20. NW Model
* "I don't know"
done
21. Network Isolation Model
* Add "I don't know"
done
24. Do you also use an S3 compatible object store - plz specify
* Should be a radio button "Yes, No" and then "If yes, then specify" type of question. The survey software should be able to force this. Otherwise you're going to get a result back that says 100% of respondents are using an S3 compatible object store, and 50% of them are running an S3-compatible object store called "no" :) Which is not fun to weed out of results.
Have rewored question (the perfect way of doing it is difficult)

25. Compatability APIs.
* add "I don't know"
done
26. Config mgmt tools
* Perhaps add saltstack?
done
28. What OS do you use to run CS?
* WHERE IS FEDORA
* NO, REALLY, I AM WOUNDED
* Seriously.
* Don't make the CloudStack Monkey cry. Please add Fedora.

OMG, soooooooo sorry Robyn. Anyway, sorted now.
I love Fedora (does that make it any better?)

Would also add:
* Are you aware of our Conferences? (Have you attended, etc)
done

The tool we've used (kindly donated by BT) will allow us to embed the
survey in CS.org  - I would propose doing that once we've got the
questions bottomed out

Kind Regards
Giles

Giles Sirett
CEO

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> |
www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com/> |
Twitter:@shapeBlue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>

Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related
services

IaaS Cloud Design &
Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
[...]

Stratosec Compliance as a Service
http://stratosec.co
o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella<http://twitter.com/johnlkinsella>

RE: cloudstack survey

Re: cloudstack survey

Posted by Robyn Bergeron <rb...@redhat.com>.

RE: cloudstack survey

Posted by Karen Vuong <ka...@citrix.com>.
For the first sentence, maybe change "This survey is being conducted on behalf of the Apache CloudStack PMC" to "This survey is being conducted on behalf of the Apache CloudStack Project Management Committee (PMC)."

Other than that - looks good to me!

Thanks,

Karen

For 9, maybe "Are you a member of an Apache CloudStack user group?"

The tool we've used (kindly donated by BT) will allow us to embed the survey in CS.org<http://cs.org/>  - I would propose doing that once we've got the questions bottomed out

Stratosec<http://stratosec.co/> - Compliance as a Service

Re: cloudstack survey

Posted by Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com>.
Mostly because we say we'll be potentially following up with them. The
current format is short and friendly. That should yield more responses, but
that's just me.

Re: cloudstack survey

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: cloudstack survey

Posted by Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com>.

Re: cloudstack survey

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Yes
There's a progress bar option just found    Out about - will enable tomorrow

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541<tel:+44%2020%203603%200541> | M: +44 796 111 2055<tel:+44%20796%20111%202055>
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>

On 19 Jun 2014, at 21:34, "Chiradeep Vittal" <Ch...@citrix.com>> wrote:

Missed it. Is it possible to make it more clear that there is more?

--
Chiradeep

Yep- page 3

On 19 Jun 2014, at 20:26, "Chiradeep Vittal" <Ch...@citrix.com>> wrote:

[...]

The tool we've used (kindly donated by BT) will allow us to embed the survey in CS.org<http://CS.org><http://CS.org><http://cs.org/>  - I would propose doing that once we've got the questions bottomed out

Kind Regards
Giles

Giles Sirett
CEO

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com><http://www.shapeblue.com><http://www.shapeblue.com/> | Twitter:@shapeBlue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>

Re: cloudstack survey

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: cloudstack survey

Re: cloudstack survey