Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Tim Colson (tcolson)" <tc...@cisco.com> on 2005/02/17 23:35:59 UTC

FW: PMC & contact for Wiki Admin

Hello Most Reverent and Kind Jakarta Gentlefolk :-)

I have a suggestion/request and it seems this might (or might not) be
the place to suggest/request it. :-)

As per below... I'd like to request the MoinMoin wiki be upgraded to
1.3.x.

Personally I'd love to see Confluence replace the Python Moin Moin,
since Confluence is written in Java, shows off Jakarta through the use
of many Jakarta packages, and shows support open source projects by
being FREE for them.

But barring that... I'd really like to see the upgrade to MoinMoin
happen because the wiki is becoming a huge benefit for collaboration on
the Velocity and Velocity Tools projects.

I realize Apache is a volunteer org and we all know this is stuff we all
do in our "not so copious free time" -- but I'd really like to know
how/where/who admins the MoinMoin install and offer to help in any way I
can.

Cheers,
Tim Colson, Geek

P.S. If you suggest something it is a "suggestion", but if you request
something, why isn't it a "requestion"? <grin>

Re: FW: PMC & contact for Wiki Admin

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:35:59 -0800, Tim Colson (tcolson)
<tc...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hello Most Reverent and Kind Jakarta Gentlefolk :-)
>
> I have a suggestion/request and it seems this might (or might not) be
> the place to suggest/request it. :-)
>
> As per below... I'd like to request the MoinMoin wiki be upgraded to
> 1.3.x.

You'd need to take this up with the infrastructure team
(infrastructure@a.o). There has been some discussion of upgrading
MoinMoin, and the most likely target at this point seems to be 1.2.4.
IIRC, there was some resistance to go to 1.3.x, I think because there
were bigger implications. But infrastructure@ is the place to get the
real scoop.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Tim Colson (tcolson) wrote:

> Hello Most Reverent and Kind Jakarta Gentlefolk :-)
>
> I have a suggestion/request and it seems this might (or might not) be
> the place to suggest/request it. :-)
>
> As per below... I'd like to request the MoinMoin wiki be upgraded to
> 1.3.x.
>
> Personally I'd love to see Confluence replace the Python Moin Moin,
> since Confluence is written in Java, shows off Jakarta through the use
> of many Jakarta packages, and shows support open source projects by
> being FREE for them.

I'm a fan of Jira, and I use Confluence, but I've found it
over-complicated for my normal needs and much prefer the looser MoinMoin or JSPWiki setups.

On the Java point, there're a lot of python coders at Apache too, and
while it's tempting to want our webserver to be Tomcat, our mail server to
be James and our wiki to be implemented in Java, there's a pragmatism that
we shouldn't overdo things :)

That said, there are reasons to prefer Confluence. Generating the
website/documentation in the way that Codehaus does would be one such
reason. If its wealth of features are desired, Confluence would be a good
choice, but do we really desire those features?

> But barring that... I'd really like to see the upgrade to MoinMoin
> happen because the wiki is becoming a huge benefit for collaboration on
> the Velocity and Velocity Tools projects.
>
> I realize Apache is a volunteer org and we all know this is stuff we all
> do in our "not so copious free time" -- but I'd really like to know
> how/where/who admins the MoinMoin install and offer to help in any way I
> can.

Infrastructure :)

Least I assume it is. While apsite people might be able to
create/maintain, I'd think that Infra would be in charge of upgrades to
the software.

Hen

Re: FW: PMC & contact for Wiki Admin

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.