Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Sathishkumar.P" <sa...@wnipl.com> on 2008/07/03 06:28:12 UTC

Maintaing separate revision number for each project in repository

Hi,
    I am new to SVN server. I need to maintain a separate revision
number for each project in the repository instead of having the global
revision number.
For example,
   we have 3 projects in the repository the revision number should look
like this when importing each project and it increments separately for
each project while commiting that particular project

     calc/    ------------------->revision number 0.1.0
          trunk/
          braches/
          tags/

     utilities/    ------------------->revision number 0.1.0
          trunk/
          braches/
          tags/

     paint/    ------------------->revision number 0.1.0
          trunk/
          braches/
          tags/

    Please let me know how to do this...
    I googled for the answer but i didnt get any proper response...

Regards
Sathish

Re: Maintaing separate revision number for each project in repository

Posted by "Sathishkumar.P" <sa...@wnipl.com>.

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2008, at 01:28, Sathishkumar.P wrote:
>
>>    I am new to SVN server. I need to maintain a separate revision
>> number for each project in the repository instead of having the
>> global revision number.
>
> That's not how revision numbers work in Subversion. A revision number
> is global for a repository, and it is simply the number of changes
> that have been made to a repository, nothing more.
>

>> For example,
>>   we have 3 projects in the repository the revision number should
>> look like this when importing each project and it increments
>> separately for each project while commiting that particular project
>>
>>     calc/    ------------------->revision number 0.1.0
>>          trunk/
>>          braches/
>>          tags/
>>
>>     utilities/    ------------------->revision number 0.1.0
>>          trunk/
>>          braches/
>>          tags/
>>
>>     paint/    ------------------->revision number 0.1.0
>>          trunk/
>>          braches/
>>          tags/
>>
>>    Please let me know how to do this...
>>    I googled for the answer but i didnt get any proper response...
>
> A revision number in a Subversion repository is not a dotted number
> like that (and like in CVS), but a monotonically increasing integer.
>
> If you want each project to have its own revision numbers, you must
> put each project in its own repository. But before you do that, *I
> would seriously ask yourself why you care what the revision number
> is*. It's an internal Subversion mechanism for storing your changes,
> which happens to be exposed at some points, but it really shouldn't
> matter to you what format Subversion's revision numbers take. Any
> publicly-facing version numbers for your project should be separate
> from the revision number and invented by you, for example in the names
> of your tags and branches.
          For example, If I am working on project *calc/trunk*  and some
body working on *paint/trunk*
    At the time of checkout my and others revision number will be 3
    While the person working on *paint* project will commit his code,
the revision number will increased to 4 but still my working copy will
have revision 3. So when i do commit it says svn: File not found:
transaction '4-1' . This will makes me confusing whether the changes
will be happened in my  project or else in some other project.
    How to avoid the above isssue???
    and if i did some major changes in my working copy and i want to
revert back to my original version how to do that???

Re: Maintaing separate revision number for each project in repository

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 3, 2008, at 03:52, Sathishkumar.P wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jul 3, 2008, at 01:28, Sathishkumar.P wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to SVN server. I need to maintain a separate revision
>>> number for each project in the repository instead of having the
>>> global revision number.
>>
>> That's not how revision numbers work in Subversion. A revision
>> number is global for a repository, and it is simply the number of
>> changes that have been made to a repository, nothing more.
>>

>>> For example, we have 3 projects in the repository the revision
>>> number should look like this when importing each project and it
>>> increments separately for each project while commiting that
>>> particular project
>>>
>>>     calc/    ------------------->revision number 0.1.0
>>>          trunk/
>>>          braches/
>>>          tags/
>>>
>>>     utilities/    ------------------->revision number 0.1.0
>>>          trunk/
>>>          braches/
>>>          tags/
>>>
>>>     paint/    ------------------->revision number 0.1.0
>>>          trunk/
>>>          braches/
>>>          tags/
>>>
>>>    Please let me know how to do this...
>>>    I googled for the answer but i didnt get any proper response...
>>
>> A revision number in a Subversion repository is not a dotted
>> number like that (and like in CVS), but a monotonically increasing
>> integer.
>>
>> If you want each project to have its own revision numbers, you
>> must put each project in its own repository. But before you do
>> that, I would seriously ask yourself why you care what the
>> revision number is. It's an internal Subversion mechanism for
>> storing your changes, which happens to be exposed at some points,
>> but it really shouldn't matter to you what format Subversion's
>> revision numbers take. Any publicly-facing version numbers for
>> your project should be separate from the revision number and
>> invented by you, for example in the names of your tags and branches.
>
>           For example, If I am working on project calc/trunk  and
> some body working on paint/trunk
>     At the time of checkout my and others revision number will be 3
>     While the person working on paint project will commit his code,
> the revision number will increased to 4 but still my working copy
> will have revision 3. So when i do commit it says svn: File not
> found: transaction '4-1' .

Not sure why you're getting this error message. That's not supposed
to happen. Perhaps your repository permissions are not set up
correctly. Try this FAQ entry:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#reposperms

> This will makes me confusing whether the changes will be happened
> in my  project or else in some other project.
>     How to avoid the above isssue???
>     and if i did some major changes in my working copy and i want
> to revert back to my original version how to do that???

I think you need to spend some time reading the Subversion Book to
understand how to use Subversion.

http://svnbook.org/

For example, using svn log and other commands to examine the history
and see what was done when and where is discussed here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.tour.history.html

Undoing changes using svn merge is discussed here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/
svn.branchmerge.commonuses.html#svn.branchmerge.commonuses.undo

Re: Maintaing separate revision number for each project in repository

Posted by "Sathishkumar.P" <sa...@wnipl.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.