Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> on 2008/12/01 16:32:55 UTC

Re: Fun with textarea-Elements

Rainer Schöpf wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 at 15:36 -0600, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>
>  > Rainer Schöpf wrote:
>  > > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 at 11:19 -0600, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>  >
>  > >  >  > Which browsers have issues? I'm issuing XHTML strict without issue.
>  > >
>  > > Try inserting an empty textarea-Element.
>  > >
>  > > Doesn't work in Firefox 3 nor in IE7.
>  > >
>  > >  Rainer
>  > >
>  > >
>  >
>  > one is not valid XHTML. There is an issue with the generator collapsing the
>  > elements because it is perfectly valid XML to do so. But if you were to have
>  > proper XHTML, FF3 and IE7 would render it fine.
>  >
>  > Richard
>
> Empty as in <textarea></textarea>. Someone created a document containing exactly
> that. The generator collapses it and the browser gets confused.
>
>   Rainer

Yeah, but at that point it isn't XHTML anymore. There is a difference
between properly formed XHTML and what this generator dumps out. The
generator is following the rules of XML, which are not the rules of
XHTML. So the problem isn't with XHTML, the problem is with the
generator creating things that aren't really XHTML. solprovider's
generator may be what's needed.

Richard

Re: Fun with textarea-Elements

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 12/1/08, Richard Frovarp <ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> wrote:
> Rainer Schöpf wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 at 15:36 -0600, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> >  > Rainer Schöpf wrote:
> >  > > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 at 11:19 -0600, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> >  >  > >  >  > Which browsers have issues? I'm issuing XHTML strict without
> issue.
> >  > >  > > Try inserting an empty textarea-Element.
> >  > >  > > Doesn't work in Firefox 3 nor in IE7.
> >  > >  > >  Rainer
> >  > >  > >  >  > Are you talking empty as in <textarea></textarea> or
> </textarea>? The second
> >  > one is not valid XHTML. There is an issue with the generator collapsing
> the
> >  > elements because it is perfectly valid XML to do so. But if you were to
> have
> >  > proper XHTML, FF3 and IE7 would render it fine.
> >  >  > Richard
> >
> > Empty as in <textarea></textarea>. Someone created a document containing
> exactly that. The generator collapses it and the browser gets confused.
> >  Rainer
>
>  Yeah, but at that point it isn't XHTML anymore. There is a difference
> between properly formed XHTML and what this generator dumps out. The
> generator is following the rules of XML, which are not the rules of XHTML.
> So the problem isn't with XHTML, the problem is with the generator creating
> things that aren't really XHTML. solprovider's serializer may be what's
> needed.
>
>  Richard

My serializer creates good HTML if the source is already HTML-like
e.g. XHTML. Rereading the original post suggests the serializer may
not solve the original issue.

Rainer wants to allow editors to enter a TEXTAREA within the TEXTAREA
used for entering RichText.  TEXTAREAs cannot be nested.  When the
document is opened again for editing, the nested TEXTAREA closes the
editor field and destroys the rest of the field.  Rainer needs to
replace the nested TEXTAREA tags with something else before sending to
the browser, then use JavaScript to translate the nested tags.  From
the explanation, the nested TEXTAREA saves correctly so:
Saved field contains ... <TEXTAREA ... ></TEXTAREA> ...
Send to browser as ... [TEXTAREA ... ][/TEXTAREA] ...
After loading, browser translates to ... <TEXTAREA></TEXTAREA> ...

While this is probably possible, the document editors were not
designed to be form creators.  Nested FORMs are likely to be the next
issue.  Why show a TEXTAREA without a FORM element?  The FORM element
must be processed like the TEXTAREA so the nested FORM does not
destroy the document editor.

solprovider