Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/03 15:11:58 UTC

Detaching and ModalWindow causes race condition

In our apps we (wrongfully IMO) make heavily use of ModalWindow (our
users seem to like them). We ran into an issue/race condition where we
have shared a model between the calling page and the ModalWindow. We
have an autocomplete textfield with an onblur handler attached. This
onblur handler is triggered when the modal window is shown resulting
in two parallel Ajax requests to the server. This causes the shared
model to be attached and detached at the same time, resulting in
rather funky behavior.

I know that one solution is to not share the model between the
ModalWindow and the calling page. But we are looking for alternative
(more general) solutions.

Options we thought of:
 - would locking the session for page directed requests implementable
(i.e. let resource requests through the barrier, but not both requests
to the calling page and the modalwindow page)
 - would it work to set a client side flag when the ModalWindow is
requested, that disables wicket-ajax for the current window to happen
(preventing the onblur to trigger Ajax), and is reset when the
ModalWindow is rendering in the client?
 - render the modalwindow page in the current pagemap instead of a new
one (would make refresh behavior pretty weird I think)

Any other suggestions?

Martijn

Re: Detaching and ModalWindow causes race condition

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
Dont share models between pages if possible.

This is also a problem if 1 or both of them is serialized and then
read back in, then you suddenly have 2 instances because pages are not
serialized as one thing.

Posted by "Juan Carlos Garcia M." <jc...@gmail.com>.
@Martijn, did you came up with a solution to this. I'll be glad to hear it.

Posted by "Juan Carlos Garcia M." <jc...@gmail.com>.