Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/10/01 00:01:11 UTC

Re: A 0.8 release? (was Re: [Proposal] rollback)

Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El vie, 30-09-2005 a las 17:08 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>>>Why do we want to release 0.8, now?
>>
>>release early, release often. This was discussed and agreed a month or
>>so ago.
>

> +1

>>Besides, the locationmap is, in itself, a very powerful tool that makes
>>it possible for Forrest to be used for the apache site-build proposal
>>(which is gathering pace again). see
>>http://people.apache.org/~rgardler/site-build/summary.html
>

> totally agree. but being devils advocate and seeing:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/main/webapp/locationmap.xml?view=markup
> makes me ask what do we want to release?

See below, with respect to the work that needs doing before a release.

> Being even more devils advocate let me ask if we want to release 08 as:
>
>>>0.8   - refactored sitemaps to utilise locationmap
>
> who is going to do this work?

See below, with respect to the work that needs doing before a release.

>>The only harm I see is a very long development schedule to the next
>>release which will hold up the release of the locationmap, which in turn
>>will  hold up the release/development of some important (to me only?)
>>plugins (e.g. Daisy, Lenya, Amazon ECS) and attraction of users/devs to
>>Forrest (through Apache site-build)
>

> Totally agree but we really have not put too much work in refactoring
> the *whole* sitemaps to lm.

See below, with respect to the work that needs doing before a release.

>>>-1 to release anything right now!
>>
>>It's not right now it's once the sitemaps are refactored (which I will
>>do in the coming weeks).
>

> Actually that is the point, why you only? Refactoring the sitemaps can
> be done by *all* committers. There is no secrets to it.

That is correct. However, this is Open Source. It is done by those wo
have the itch. I have the itch, I will do it (and lets not forget that
Tim has done lots of preparatory work for me/us).

>>This is a *much* smaller job than the
>>XHTML2/views integration. Making core a plugin framework (0.9) paves the
>>way for integration of the views plugins (0.10) by cleaning up core even
>>more.
>

> Actually I will be able to in-cooperate views as soon the jxpath-1.2
> problem is solved. Thanks to Antonio, David et. al. that spend a lot of
> time solving the problem  I think latest in 0.9 views are in the core
> and will make skins obsolete (can be earlier if we solve the
> linkrewritter/jxpath bug). I am right now as well looking into blocks
> and trying to make views a cocoon block.

Yes, my proposal is only an outline, things can come in a different
order if that, is what happens.

>>Does a 0.8 release prevent you from continuing work on the views stuff?
>>Is there really a need for a -1?
>

> A release can be done when I see the lm stuff. *Or* we refocus the
> release.

See above about the work still needing to be done and who has th time +
itch to do it.

> Like you stated they are other components that actually are
> justifying a release and we do not have to refactor all pipes for it.

True.

Ross