Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2012/11/27 23:37:18 UTC

Nagios plugin script for use with JMXProxy

Re: Nagios plugin script for use with JMXProxy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Nagios plugin script for use with JMXProxy

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.

> Mark,
>
> On 11/27/12 6:02 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
>> On 11/27/2012 2:37 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I have developed a Perl script that can be used with Nagios to
>>> check on a Tomcat instance via the manager's JMXProxyServlet.
>>> Someone asked me to publish it, which I'm happy to do. I'm just
>>> wondering what the best thing to do is.
>>>
>>> I see several options:
>>>
>>> 1. Submit a patch to the Tomcat source 2. Drop the file into the
>>> Tomcat wiki 3. Stick the file on Apache's related-projects stash
>>> -- I have forgotten the address at this point :( 4. Host it on my
>>> own website
>>>
>>> Tomcat's source doesn't include a "contrib" directory or anything
>>> like that, so probably #1 isn't the best option, but I figured
>>> I'd mention it in case someone wants to tell me a better place in
>>> the Tomcat source I could put it.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure the wiki is the best place for things like scripts.
>>> At least it will be available and versioned-with-history: anyone
>>> can make modifications to it and everyone benefits.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to which way I should go?
>>>
>>> Thanks, - -chris
>>
>> Chris,
>>
>> First of all, thank you for this. I've been toying with a similar
>> idea (and plugging the entire mess into the Icenga remoting
>> script), but I've not had the chance.
>>
>> Right now, I think the Wiki might be a good place. Maybe under the
>> "Troubleshooting" section? I don't know, there doesn't seem to be a
>> good monitoring section in the How To area of the Wiki.
>>
>> Maybe you could start one?
>
> I've actually been working on one:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Monitoring
>
>> The fact that you have forgotten the related projects' stash URL is
>> a good indication that most people don't know of it, or have
>> forgotten it, or are otherwise unaware of it. I know I am. So
>> unless the location gets broadcast pretty strongly, then your good
>> work will go off to the dusty bin of unvisited URLs.
>
> +1
>
>> Your blog is great as well, I just don't know how much extra access
>> and traffic you're looking for . . .
>
> Heh. My website gets a trickle of hits per day, and those are probably
> just spiders.
>
> I'll link to it from the aforementioned wiki page. We can always move
> it somewhere else.
>
> Let me know if it will work for you in Icinga.
>
> - -chris

First glance at the code - looks nice, and it looks like it will play
with Icenga. If I have time in the next few days I'll try to add and
configure it.

Unfortunately, I have to move on December 1st, and I've yet to find a
place to move to. That takes first priority (although I could always
participate from various open wifi spots :-| )

And your Wiki start is nice - much nicer than the blank page I've got
going for clustering. Maybe in a few weeks.

. . . . life takes priority so only a penny's worth this time.
/mde/

Re: Nagios plugin script for use with JMXProxy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.

> All,
>
> I have developed a Perl script that can be used with Nagios to check
> on a Tomcat instance via the manager's JMXProxyServlet. Someone asked
> me to publish it, which I'm happy to do. I'm just wondering what the
> best thing to do is.
>
> I see several options:
>
> 1. Submit a patch to the Tomcat source
> 2. Drop the file into the Tomcat wiki
> 3. Stick the file on Apache's related-projects stash
>     -- I have forgotten the address at this point :(
> 4. Host it on my own website
>
> Tomcat's source doesn't include a "contrib" directory or anything like
> that, so probably #1 isn't the best option, but I figured I'd mention
> it in case someone wants to tell me a better place in the Tomcat
> source I could put it.
>
> I'm not sure the wiki is the best place for things like scripts. At
> least it will be available and versioned-with-history: anyone can make
> modifications to it and everyone benefits.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to which way I should go?
>
> Thanks,
> - -chris

Chris,

First of all, thank you for this. I've been toying with a similar idea
(and plugging the entire mess into the Icenga remoting script), but I've
not had the chance.

Right now, I think the Wiki might be a good place. Maybe under the
"Troubleshooting" section? I don't know, there doesn't seem to be a good
monitoring section in the How To area of the Wiki.

Maybe you could start one?

The fact that you have forgotten the related projects' stash URL is a
good indication that most people don't know of it, or have forgotten it,
or are otherwise unaware of it. I know I am. So unless the location gets
broadcast pretty strongly, then your good work will go off to the dusty
bin of unvisited URLs.

Your blog is great as well, I just don't know how much extra access and
traffic you're looking for . . .

. . . . just my two cents
/mde/

Re: Nagios plugin script for use with JMXProxy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Nagios plugin script for use with JMXProxy

Posted by Athanasios Kostopoulos <at...@neofonie.de>.
On 28/11/12 17:19, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 05:37:18PM -0500, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> I have developed a Perl script that can be used with Nagios to check
>> on a Tomcat instance via the manager's JMXProxyServlet. Someone asked
>> me to publish it, which I'm happy to do. I'm just wondering what the
>> best thing to do is.
> Allow me to add my thanks!
>
>> I see several options:
>>
>> 1. Submit a patch to the Tomcat source
>> 2. Drop the file into the Tomcat wiki
>> 3. Stick the file on Apache's related-projects stash
>>     -- I have forgotten the address at this point :(
>> 4. Host it on my own website
> Maybe Nagios has a third-party plugins corral?

Many thanks from me as well.
Indeed Nagios has a third-party plugins corral, you can reach it at

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins

There you can also find instruction there on how to submit your own project

Re: Nagios plugin script for use with JMXProxy

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 05:37:18PM -0500, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> I have developed a Perl script that can be used with Nagios to check
> on a Tomcat instance via the manager's JMXProxyServlet. Someone asked
> me to publish it, which I'm happy to do. I'm just wondering what the
> best thing to do is.

Allow me to add my thanks!

> I see several options:
>
> 1. Submit a patch to the Tomcat source
> 2. Drop the file into the Tomcat wiki
> 3. Stick the file on Apache's related-projects stash
>    -- I have forgotten the address at this point :(
> 4. Host it on my own website

Maybe Nagios has a third-party plugins corral?

I don't do "doorbusters".