Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by mitu2009 <mu...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/28 19:39:11 UTC

Correctly indexing latitude and longitude values in Lucene

Hi,

Am working on a  "US based nearest city search within a given radius"
functionality using Lucene API.
Am indexing city's lat and long values in Lucene as follows:

    doc.Add(new Field("latitude", paddedLatitude, Field.Store.YES,
Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED));

    doc.Add(new Field("longitude", paddedLongitude, Field.Store.YES,
Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED));

Since Lucene only understands strings and not numbers, am padding lat and
long values.

For example, if original lat and long are 41.811846 and -87.820628
respectively, after padding,values look like:

paddedLatitude -->"0041.811846" and paddedLongitude-->"-087.820628"

Am doing the same padding while building the nearest city query(using
Lucene's ConstantScoreRangeQuery class).

Given the fact that lat and long values could be decimal/negative numbers,
is this the right approach to index them so that I would get correct nearest
cities in the search results when lucene would perform a number
Range/comparison operation on these values?

Thanks.

RE: Correctly indexing latitude and longitude values in Lucene

Posted by mitu2009 <mu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Uwe...but I have not mentioned the padding logic in my earlier
mail.Just wanted to know if that logic would work.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.