Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Foster <st...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/20 14:19:47 UTC

[users@httpd] Centralised logging for access logs.

Hi there,

I am looking at ways i can more reliably centralise apache access logs into
a single logging area, i have discounted syslog on the basis of reliabilty
and the sheer volume of log entries i need to handle.

I am canvassing opinion on what others who maintain large configurations
might do, any pointers on where to look next.

I am going to look at something called mod_log_spread but are there any
other products or off-the-shelf approaches.

many thanks in advance

Steve

Re: [users@httpd] Centralised logging for access logs.

Posted by Mike Tangorre <mt...@figleaf.com>.
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Steve Foster
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am canvassing opinion on what others who maintain large configurations
> might do, any pointers on where to look next.
>
> I am going to look at something called mod_log_spread but are there any
> other products or off-the-shelf approaches.

Hi Steve -

Take a look at Corner Bowl Log Manager at
http://www.cornerbowl.com/Log-Manager/Log-Manager.aspx

Regards,

Mike Tangorre, Fig Leaf Software
202-797-7711 x115 (direct)
202-797-7715 (fax)
http://www.figleaf.com
http://training.figleaf.com

Re: [users@httpd] Centralised logging for access logs.

Posted by Peter Phaal <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Steve Foster
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am looking at ways i can more reliably centralise apache access logs into
> a single logging area, i have discounted syslog on the basis of reliabilty
> and the sheer volume of log entries i need to handle.
>
> I am canvassing opinion on what others who maintain large configurations
> might do, any pointers on where to look next.
>
> I am going to look at something called mod_log_spread but are there any
> other products or off-the-shelf approaches.
>
> many thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Steve,

You might want to take a look at mod-sflow, it is provides
lightweight, centralized logging and performance counters using the
sFlow protocol:

http://blog.sflow.com/2011/01/http.html

If you also run Host sFlow agents on your Apache servers you will also
be able to centrally monitor network traffic, system performance
counters etc. across your cluster.

http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Peter